·˚𝙫. ༘༄ ꒰𝘏𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘸'𝘴 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦꒱ؘ*ੈ✩

•°

•°.✩.°•

After you had reached Steven's apartment, Steven led you and Layla into his apartment.

You walked around the bookshelves, avoiding and dodging the pile of mess on the floor.

"Why's she calling you Steven? Marc, what's going on?" Layla leaned forward to watch Gus in the tank.

"She shouldn't be here," Marc spoke to Steven through the reflection of the fishtank Layla was in front of, "Get her out of here, Steven. You're way out of your depth,"

"I just want my life back," Steven replied.

"Yeah," Layla glanced back at him, "I'm getting that,"

"No. Sorry, I wasn't talking to you, just talking to myself," he explained weakly, "Sort of,"

"Uh, this is your flat, Marc?"

"Um, I'm Steven,"

"Are you living here with someone else? You're living here with her?" Layla asked, pointing at you.

"Oh, no, no," you declined, "I live in this apartment building. The next door,"

"No, no, no. No, this is my mum's flat," Steven answered.

"Okay, so you guys are talking again?" Layla nodded to herself.

"Jean de La Fontaine?" You read out the words in disbelief as you held the book in your hand.

"Yep," Steven began to recite the poem as you turned to face him in surprise. Shortly after, you joined him, both of you completing the first stanza of a poem.

"Oui, oui," Steven nodded with a bright smile.

"Marc," you narrowed your eyes at the man in front of you, "You told me you didn't know French,"

"He didn't," Layla nodded in confirmation from the other end of the room.

"Well, I'm not Marc, I'm Steven," he repeated yet again, "He's one of my favorite poets,"

"Right, sorry," You conceded, "And he's my favorite,"

"That's mental," Steven blinked at you.

"So, you're learning French and hieroglyphics?" Layla raised her eyebrows in question, standing next to a table with open books about ancient Egypt.

"Yeah, well—That's not that impressive, really," Steven made his way towards her, "It's not like hieroglyphs are a whole language. It's more like a—"

"Like an alphabet," Layla completed.

"Yeah, and— Well, you still have to know ancient Egyptian to read it,"

"Sure,"

"For example, like this one here, right?"

"Funeral rites,"