End of Something Old [S1]

Trevor Scott is a man who didn't have the best luck in life. He grew up in poverty and lived in hostile environments as a result. His education was limited, only being able to secure a high school diploma in the end yet he didn't let that deter his ambitions. He survived through his childhood after all and at the ripe age of 24, he finally was able to make a little something out of himself.

Trevor worked as a construction worker for Boulder Inc. putting in the work ethic day and night for a paycheck. If Trevor were to tell his younger self this is what he would be doing, he'd laugh at himself. He's seen many things at a young age in his life and at one point, he never thought he'd crawl out of the slums.

Yet he had a reason and for that reason he'd do anything.

He lifted three cinder blocks from one side of the half-constructed building and moved it to the other side. He let out a tired sigh as he took a breath. It was hot today, and it was barely tolerable, even for Trevor's stubbornness. He took a seat on one of the curbs and grabbed a water bottle from the cooler beside him. After a large gulp, he fished for his phone and took it out, immediately checking his texts. He saw one new message and clicked it. When he opened it, he smiled gently and tucked his phone back in his pocket.

He was rejuvenated with energy to work hard once more.

0-0-0-0-0

Trevor finished showering and cleaning up the dishes when a small voice called his name. In a small apartment like his, it didn't require loud voices in order to get someone's attention. He let out a "Coming!" and wiped his hands clean, before heading towards the voice's direction.

He picked up a small worn book on his way there and opened the door to reveal a room filled bright pink to the brim, covering the walls, sheets, and even rugs. A small girl smiled brightly as she hugged her black bunny with patchy eyes. Trevor detests that thing, but she always exclaimed that it looked like him much to his displeasure. "Trevor!"

Trevor smiled, "Hey kid. You ready for bed?"

The little girl pouted, "No! Story!"

Trevor rolled his eyes. For a five-year-old, she was so demanding. He'd never let anyone order him around so frequently except for her, she should be grateful that she's his baby sister. Plus, she's really cute and Trevor has a small weakness for cute things.

"Fine. I grabbed 'Tales of a Commoner Princess' already, so you don't have to nag me to go get it, Nora."

Nora grinned, "It's my favorite story!"

Trevor shook his head, he's probably read this story over a hundred times for his sister, knowing some of the dialogue even by heart against his will. It was a typical commoner girl falls in love with the crown prince type of novel, a bit mature for a five-year-old. Trevor makes sure to replace the inappropriate parts for his sister, hoping that one day she doesn't realize he's been switching the story up, but it wasn't too bad. Just the kissing shit because Trevor swears on their parents' grave, she will never kiss another human on his watch. He won't even put those ideas in her head.

"Yeah yeah, now get under the covers."

Nora snuggled into her small bed as Trevor sat down next to her, opening to start the beginning of yet another rendition of 'Tales of a Commoner Princess'.

In a grumpy voice, Trevor began; "There once was a girl named Leila Evergreen...."

Eventually, Nora fell asleep as she usually did, and Trevor closed the book after he noticed her soft snoring. He gently stood up and tucked the comforter closer to her body, before leaning in to give her a kiss on the forehead.

He quietly crept out the room and hit the light, whispering 'I love you' as he quietly prepared for the next day.

0-0-0-0-0

It was another hot day on the job where Trevor worked on the building this time, on the upper levels. He was helping a coworker paint the insides of walls, clothes messy with white paint. He wiped the sweat off his forehead and went to dip his roller into more paint when the ground shook, causing the building to shake for a moment.

The workers looked confused as they paused, when a stronger shockwave hit the building, causing the workers to panic as they tried to rush out of the unfinished building. Suddenly Trevor snapped out of his confusion as his eyes widened, looking around to follow his fellow workers out the building. The ground roared as Trevor ran down the stairs, pushing the exit door sharply when the building began to collapse.

Trevor's boss was directing everyone to the nearest open space where he heard the telltale sign of support beams breaking. He snapped his head in the direction of his project, eyes widening in alarm as he saw bits of the building falling. A larger piece of concrete began to crack and fall, and Trevor's boss could only scream Trevor's name before it hits him.

"SCOTT!"

Trevor sees his boss and starts running towards his direction when a large shadow surrounds Trevor, causing him to look up and see the piece of concrete that knocks him down swiftly in one motion.

Trevor is in excruciating pain, he feels something heavy on his body, restricting movement in his limbs. He tries to breath, only to realize his chest was caved in and he couldn't take another breath. He started hyperventilating in his mind as his senses slowly dulled.

W-What the fuck?

Is this the end-It can't be. What about Nora?

NORA?! What will happen to her if I'm dead?!

Fuck. I can't die yet, I—

I got to protect my family!

Trevor roared desperately to make his wish come to life but soon slowly fell into a still abyss of nothingness.

His last wish was only to survive and take care of his family, in the end.