Chapter 1 | The Taxi Driver

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

"You're the whore who killed my wife!"

My eyes almost bulge out of their sockets when I hear Mr. Hughes scream at the woman on the witness stand... His mistress.

"The whore you loved to fuck!"

"Mister Hughes! Miss Warner! I want you to control yourself or I'll have to ask you to leave immediately. Don't force me to detain you." The judge promptly establishes order in her courtroom.

I keep my eyes on the floor refusing to glance sideways at Jodi. My boss. Jodi Wyatt. One of the top criminal defense attorneys in the state. Probably the country. She's one of the senior partners of Wyatt & Meyers.

Long story short she's the shit and I'm her trainee who had one job. Make sure Mr. Hughes stays silent. Well, I sure failed and now she's going to murder me with her boney fingers. The worst part is that she'll probably get away with it.

"I apologize on behalf of my client, your honor." Her voice sends chills down my spine. My nails dig into my hands as I try to calmly breathe through the remaining five minutes.

Mr. Hughes is breathing down my neck so that isn't making things any easier.

I jump out of my chair when the judge declares that we're done for the day. I hastily pack all my documents, cramming them into my briefcase. It's a little difficult because it's jam-packed with all my highlighters and different colored notes. Which I wasn't allowed to use because Jodi said it made her look unprofessional and me childish.

"In my office, Waters." She whispers discreetly before strutting out of the courtroom with Mr. Hughes and some of the lawyers by her side.

I don't understand how they want to kill each other while they're inside but the instant they're outside they're talking to each other like they've been best friends for centuries.

"Today, Waters." the bailiff says, snapping me out of my trance.

"Sorry, Will." I flash him a smile as I collect my last few documents.

"It's Bryants to you." He reminds me for the millionth time. Apparently weeks together in a courtroom doesn't mean that you're on a first-name basis with everyone. Got it.

"Sorry Will Bryants."

He rolls his eyes at me, stepping to my table, thankfully I manage to collect all my stuff before he reaches me. "Bye Will Bryants! See you tomorrow!" I call out, running out of the room.

Tomorrow... Yeah, if Jodi lets me live one more day... I doubt it.

I truly believe she killed someone. I mean it's the only possible explanation as to why she's this good of a lawyer. She probably escaped justice once and now she's helping others.