Chapter 8 | The Trial

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

With flashes of my steamy dream appearing in my mind every five seconds, it's hard to get ready for a day like this. I can practically feel his hands on my body. His lips dragging across my skin while we're both a great mess. I-

I somehow still manage to get ready in time.

I get there in time.

Meyers hands us our cards, the ones we'll have to use to get in and out of the building. I hang it around my neck just like Harry does and then we step out of the car.

It's a bright sunny morning with birds chirping happily. The windows of the courthouse reflect the sun shining onto them, I look up at the building, the huge Greek-style pillars almost taking my breath away. The style of this courthouse is magnificent. There are tiny Latin words engraved onto the pillars. It's beautiful.

I wish this stunning scenery didn't have to be demolished by the people shoving cameras and microphones in our faces. Throwing question after question at us. I don't blame them for being curious. I would be too.

However, I don't like the insults in their questions.

How do you feel about this as a woman, miss Waters?

Have you thought about the victims? Their families?

Aren't you embarrassed?

Aren't you angry? Mad? Why are you defending Michael Bennet?

They're mostly angry at me. I hear zero insults being thrown at Elijah or Harry. Zero. And I get that it's odd of me to agree to this but it's not like I'm going to get him out of prison! It's just to get him off death row. Which shouldn't even be a thing.

Yes, most people die in there without ever getting to the execution part but that doesn't matter. It's inhumane and wrong.

We walk into the courthouse, our footsteps echoing through the relatively empty halls. The only thing I see are the electronic card reading machines guarded by a few officers.

"Morning," I greet the security with a smile, scanning my card and officially entering the building. I feel the air shift once we do. We reach the conference room and I take an instinctive step back when I see Michael Bennet. My back meets Harry's chest but he doesn't say anything of it.

He just gives me a push to make me move forward. I don't know if it's meant to be supportive or him being annoyed that I'm stopping him from stepping in but either way it helps me walk in.

"Miss Waters," Bennet smirks immediately when he notices me. I give him a curt nod and try not to hide too much behind Harry when we sit...

But I do and Bennet hates it. He hates it so much that he switches seats so he's sitting in front of me. It makes me so uncomfortable that I almost forget how to breathe.