Chapter 19 | The Boss

( POV: SEBASTIAN ZANE SARTORI )

"Oh my god, that's Elijah."

I glance over at Alara when she says that, she's gone pale. Her entire face looks bleak. "Pause it," I tell Emil. "Why do you think that, princess?" I crouch down in front of her seat, taking her hands into mine because she's trembling.

"Look at his wrist," She mutters. I'm dreading it but I manage to look away from her.

"The tattoo," I notice.

"Yes," She's tightly clutching onto my hands, squeezing them. "He has the same one so it must be him. It's too distinct. And in the same spot." I hear her let out a shaky breath and look back at her. "Why would he do that? I don't get it." She mumbles.

She reaches forward, not knowing what to do with herself. "But I'm sure of it, Zane. That's him."

"Okay," I nod. "I believe you." I look over at them, gesturing them to go handle this. "Hey, princess, look at me." I cup her cheek, softly making her peek up at me. "What's going through that pretty head of yours?"

"I don't know." She sighs. "I- why would he do this? Does he want me off the case? He could just fire me, he's my boss... Is he afraid that I'll sue him? Maybe he wants to scare me off so I'll leave... But none of it makes any sense."

I've noticed that talking through things is sometimes the solution for Alara while other times it's not. Things that she thinks she can clarify will be spoken about, the other things not so much.

"That could be it." I agree. "But isn't it good for them that you're on the team?"

"Yeah... I don't know." She sighs. "The note said that I would be locked up so he's definitely trying to scare me but I just can't see why he would do things this way."

"I'll find out."

My words make her look up at me, her hand wrapping around my wrist as she pulls it down from her cheek, she softly holds onto my hand with both of hers. "Zane, I don't want you to do anything. He'll know that you're doing it because of me and that'll only-"

"Don't worry." I shake my head, squeezing her hand. "Elijah Meyers is not a clean man. I knew that already. Doing things dirty is the only way he knows. He won't be able to do anything to you. Just trust me and let me handle it, okay?"

"You're just going to figure out why he did it right? You won't even talk to him?"

"Is that a question or a request?"