Chapter 9 | The Surprise Date

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

I survived another day of sitting beside Bennet. Barely... But I did.

"Waters," Meyers calls after me before I can disappear. Harry who was silently walking beside me stops as well. Copying my actions by turning around to face Meyers too.

"Sir," I nod, awaiting his words.

Meyers sighs, taking a few steps toward us. He adjusts his collar before speaking up, "Are you going to keep ignoring me?" He asks, directing his question right at me. That means that Harry did indeed speak with him yesterday as I assumed.

"Is there something that we need to discuss regarding our client?" I manage to keep my voice steady. I'm not that good with authoritative figures and Meyers being my boss makes him one.

"Alara, I know you have more things to say. So say them."

I take a second to think about it, "Only if you promise not to fire me."

"I won't fire you for speaking your mind. Let's talk," He holds his hand out, motioning toward his car. I step toward it after him but when I look over my shoulder, Harry's not coming along.

"Uh-uh, Duncan. You can't escape this. You're coming with."

He shrugs, "I already told him everything that I needed to say."

"I'm happy for you but you're still tagging along."

Harry sighs, running his fingers through his hair and loosening the tie around his neck, "Fine but you're buying."

"It seems to me that you're broke because I've been paying for all your coffees lately. I thought I was broke." I tease and he refuses to smile but doesn't sulk either. We get in the black SUV and Elijah's driver takes us to a bar. I assumed it would be just a bar nearby but Mr. Meyers thinks differently.

He decides to take us to the most prestigious and expensive bar in town, I glance up at Harry and notice his smirk, "You're still buying right?"

"Of course," I smile, not letting anything on. "Pocket change."

A chuckle escapes him and he shakes his head, clearly amused. We get out of the car, following Meyers into the bar. He leads us to a special VIP section. Did we truly need to have this conversation here? Couldn't we do that at the hotel?

It's only five o'clock but people are already partying and getting drunk. If they're here for the fun and not to drink their problems away then I'm jealous... Really jealous. Because I'm here to have a discussion with my boss.

Meyers sits down and orders drinks for all of us, "I don't-"

"Let's get on with it, Alara." He says, taking me by surprise with his sudden cold and angry demeanor.