Chapter 11 | The Break

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

The prosecution finalize their last moments with Claire. They'll absolutely call her on the stand again in a few weeks. She has so much more to tell.

Even though Michael notified me that they never had an explicit relationship, at least not in his eyes, we had to dismiss that and make it like they actually had a genuine and monogamous relationship. Then we could call what she did cheating. And she decided to claim that he cheated too so we can use that as a motive.

She's angry. She's taking revenge by lying. A crazy woman...

That's what Meyers wants us to make of his first victim.

I have no idea how I'm going to continue working on this case. It's driving me insane and the only peace that I have is that I'm not doing the talking today.

I just have to make it through Bennet's continuous commentary on the witnesses. And on me too. He's given me compliments, creepy ones. Who compliments someone's neck? It's such a bizarre thing to compliment. Creepy even.

To keep myself from fleeing the courtroom, I try to find comfort in my surroundings. Harry and Meyers are here with me and that's a reassurance. A tiny one but a comfort nonetheless. I also glance around searching for Zane, I can't see him because I can't be looking behind me for that long.

"What are you looking at?" Harry whispers to me when he notices that I've been a little absentminded.

"A friend. Never mind. I'm just stressed." I shrug it off and refocus on Meyers.

"What friend?"

Oh, how I wish that question was Harry's. I wish he was the curious one. But he's not. It's Bennet. I try to ignore his question but that doesn't help. He just gets louder. And if he gets too loud, the people will notice... Most importantly, the judge will.

"I asked you a question didn't I, Miss Waters? It'd be rude for you to ignore me." I need to answer him or he's going to blow this entire thing up. This man is seriously insane. Clinically ill.

"Another lawyer," I lie, "He's here to watch Meyers talk. Now please let us listen to-"

"Okay," He nods, interrupting me and stopping me from finishing my sentence. "Whatever you say, Miss Alara Su Waters." The way he says my name momentarily startles me. It surprises and scares me but I keep my expression controlled. I don't think that he's used my first name before.

When he calls me Miss Waters... There's still some distance between us. Using my full name isn't as unnerving as him only using my first name so I suppose that's good. I hope that's good because he truly terrifies me.

When the day comes to an end, we all rise. After the judge leaves, I begin to collect my things. My documents, notes, and empty coffee cup. I'm startled when I feel a hand on my back, so startled that I almost jump out of the way. Sitting next to Bennet took its toll on me.