Chapter 18 | The Details

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

"Alara?" I hear Zane's voice before I feel his warm hand on my cheek. "Princess, are you okay?"

"Hmm?" I hum as I open my eyes to look at him. I'm in bed, far away from the hotel. Zane found a house near the courthouse. It's bigger than necessary but also feels very safe. It has cameras everywhere and all the windows are protected. He said that it used to be for people in the witness protection program. Lizzie is here with us too and I've spoken to Meyers on the phone, explaining the entire situation. Well, the note situation.

He agreed that it was the best course of action and that they would be switching to another hotel. He told me that I could join them but I said that I was good for now. This place feels safe, especially with Zane beside me.

"Are you okay? You're crying." What he says makes me frown a little as I brush my fingertips underneath my eyes, feeling the tears that he just mentioned.

"Oh," I mumble, moving to sit upright, "I hadn't noticed. I'm scared, that's probably why." The shower helped with making me feel a little better but it wasn't able to wash my worries away.

"Princess, I understand why you're crying. That's very normal." He says as he brushes his thumbs underneath my eyes, wiping my tears away. "But you're crying in your sleep and I would much rather have a conversation with you to ease those worries."

"I don't think you can." I sigh, resting my head on the pillow beside me, causing me to curl up more and closer toward him. He smiles down at me, his hand still on my cheek. He brushes my wet hair out of my face and I glance up at him. His hair is very messy, messier than when I run my hand through it. He's still wearing his black dress shirt, it looks disheveled too. "Were you kissing someone else?" I tease him to distract myself from the events of today.

He follows my gaze, looking down at his shirt before running his hand through his hair, "Ah, I'm sorry to disappoint but this is your doing."

"Oh," I sigh with a soft smile on my face. I'm already dreading the moment that he steps away so I act quicker than him, "Zane, can you stay with me?"

"Here in bed, you mean?"

"Yes." I take his hand from my cheek and just hold onto it. Zane nods and moves down, lying right next to me, his head on the pillow beside me. He pulls me in, draping his arm around me while I rest my head on his chest. I can feel his heart beating, I find it very soothing. I place my hand near his heart and feel it beat against it.

That makes me chuckle a little and I feel Zane looking down at me when I do that. He doesn't say anything though, he just holds me a little closer. I eventually must've fallen asleep because when I begin to wake up, my back is pressed against his chest and when I look over at him, he's wearing a white shirt instead of his black dress shirt. He probably changed after I fell asleep.