Chapter 16 | The Fifth Date

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

"You're okay?"

"I am baba, I promise." I keep repeating the same sentence over and over but they don't believe me. They're not convinced.

"Your mother is losing it and vallaha I am too. Alara, kizim, I don't think that you should stay there. I-"

"Baba, trust me, I am okay. I'm not alone here. Liz is on her way and... And I have another friend here with me. I'm not alone."

He pauses for a few beats and I peek over at Zane, managing to catch a glimpse of his smirk before it fades. "A friend?" I hear my mother's voice coming from the back.

"Yes, a friend." I chuckle a little because I can hear her rushing to get to the phone.

"Who? It's not Ezra right?"

I sigh, "No, it's not Ezra. It's another friend."

"Be honest with me, is it a boyfriend?"

Zane can hear the question because my mother isn't particularly quiet, he smirks again. "N-" He then turns to look over at me while I reply, "Y-" What am I supposed to say here? "Not really." He cocks his brow at me and I giggle uncomfortably, "I mean I don't know! No! I don't know."

To my surprise, my mother laughs a little, "Is he with you right now?"

"Mm-hmm," I hum.

"Is it the one I saw last time on TV?"

"Probably... I'm not sure." I put the volume down a little so he can't hear her anymore.

"The handsome one. Tall, dark hair, brown eyes. With the fancy suit and-"

"Yeah, that's- yeah." I nod and try to ignore Zane while I talk because I can feel his eyes burning into my skin from across the room.

"Okay... Okay, I trust you. You know that. We just want you to be safe, darling."

"Okay, mom. I love you both and I'm okay so don't worry." We continue to talk for a few more minutes and then we hang up. They're both still nervous and worried but they trust me.

"Everything alright?" Zane asks and I just nod. He smirks as he comes to sit right beside me. "Parents usually adore me." He states casually.

I look up at him and can't help but laugh, "I'm sure they do. What's not to love?"

"Oh, really?" He teases me and I feel my cheeks heating up. I shouldn't have said that. It's true though... But I shouldn't have said that.