I

stevens pov:

The first time Steven saw her was when he was working the morning shift. She walked in, stopping in front of the entrance of the gift shop, looked around before walking off towards the Greek mythology section. Steven had watched her while she did, noticing the iPad and electric pen at her side.

He didn't mean to come off as creepy, it just happened. Nobody else seemed to notice it though so he tried to put it, and her, from his mind.

The second time she came in was a few days later, not like he was counting, but she came in at the same time as before, a few minutes after he got there. Steven would see her when she stood in the door, looked around for a second, almost like she was looked for something specific before realizing and walking off.

Sometimes, through the doorways as she passed and then others when she would sit with her back to the entrance of the gift shop, right in front of his cash register. Which in turn allowed him to stare at her when he wasn't sell inaccurate jelly candies to small children.

Around the fifth or sixth time while staring at her, he got caught by his rude boss, Donna.

"You saucy rascal, spying on girls when you are supposed to be working. Fancy her?" She asked in a teasing yet still slightly cruel tone of voice as she leaned against the counter.

"W-what? No! I just- fancy her outfits. They're really quite fashionable...and nice to look at." It was a dreadful lie and they both knew it, but Donna only rolled her eyes at his lack of interesting life before walking off again.

He liked the way it was. He didn't have to talk to her and so there was no fear of rejection in this case. And besides, he hasn't sorted out his sleeping disorder yet and it's definitely a red flag to have an ankle cuff by his bed. Maybe a bit. Steven also got to watch her every once in a while so that was nice enough to soothe his heart

"You know, I haven't even seen a really up close look at her face but I can tell she's really pretty," Steven said to the gold statue man on his break, eating his lunch even though he has gotten there later than usual. "And I think that my mind is a little too messed up at the moment, you know, jumbled a bit, to have a girlfriend. Besides, she probably has a partner of some kind with looks like that."

The man sitting still next to him didn't say anything, as always, and didn't move so he would be able to reign in tips for being a statue.

"Yeah, I think you're right. She's completely out of my league. Plus what if Gus didn't like her? That would be a dealbreaker. Just saving myself from heartbreak." Steven packed up his stuff before tossing a few dollars in the mans hat as a tip before getting and saying goodbye.

But then, after the- the number of times of her started to meddle to together so he didn't remember the exact number, the woman didn't stop in the doorway this time, she walking right in to the gift shop.

Steven quickly busied himself with the merchandise around him to seem like he was busy this entire time and not just staring at her.

And then she stopped in front of him, placing both her hands on the counter and said, "Hi."

Steven looked around to see if she could be talking to somebody else but no, she was looking at him.