II

It was only after the museum closed, Stevens shift ended and he went home to tell Gus, his one-fin-wonder, about his day and the woman he finally talked to, that he finally realized that he hadn't actually asked her name.

"Oh hell, Gus, I forgot to ask her what her name was! In our entire 5 minute conversation and I didn't even ask her name! How could I be so bloody stupid?" He yelled at him and himself as he leaned back in his dining table with his hands covering his face.

Gus said nothing in return, obviously, and swam around while his owner was having an identity crisis.

"You know what, Gus? It's going to be fine, it's gonna be fine because she going to come back again and then I am going to get her name. Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do." Steven continued trying to reassure himself that that was what he was going to do, building up his very little self confidence he already had.

***

He might have under shot a little, thinking she was going to be there the day after there meeting but she was there the second, walking in into the gift shop and looking around, not seeing him as he had just come from the back room.

Steven glanced both ways to look out for Donna before walking around his counter and going up to the woman with black eyes. He tapped her on the shoulder, causing her to turn around, and said quickly, "Hi, I don't know if you remember me-"

"Of course I remember you, Steven from the gift shop. It's been two days." She said bluntly but there was a softness to her tone that soothed all malice that would be there.

"Right, yeah, umm..I realized after I went home that I didn't actually get your name yesterday."

She gave him a smile before holding out her hand to him in a traditional introduction sense, "Esmeray, Esmeray Nox, but you can just call me Esme if it's easier."

He happily shaked Esme's hand, "I'm Steven Grant, it's nice to put a name to a face."

She let a small smirk form on her face before saying in a teasing tone, "So you've been thinking about my face?"

Esme watched as his eyes widened before snapping to the floor, as his cheeks and the tips of his ears started to turn red, and as he started to stutter out an appropriate response, "No!-I mean, yes, but!...It's a very nice face."

She laughed at his response and flustered state, "I think I'll leave you now before you explode. I'm sure you will be seeing each other again, Steven Grant."

Esmeray gave him a small wave before turning away and walking towards the Egyptian mythology section like Steven had shown her a couple days ago.

He waved back, even though she wouldn't see it, and let out the first really breath he had taken since the beginning of their conversation. Steven looked back and saw that there was a small child and her mother standing at his cash register, waiting for him to check them out.

"STEVIE!"

***
esmeray's pov:

She hated Marc Spector.

Anyone who had seen the two of them interact would be able to see that.

Even before when they were on the mercenary squad for 3 years, they had a frenemies type relationship, Marc saying some stupid comment and Esmeray shooting them right back at him with an irritated glare and sickly sweet smirk.