X

Alright, quick recap that's happened over the past fifteen minutes.

They stopped in the desert, Steven figured out the star map thing, Khonshu and Steven reset the sky so they could actually use the map, Steven passed out and then Khonshu disappeared. Bastet is still upset about that last one.

Then some men of Harrows or Mogart, they didn't actually know who they belonged to, found and started shooting at them. So, because Steven was passed out, Layla was in charge of getting him and herself somewhere safer while Esmeray suited up and attacked them head on.

Basically, she destroyed them and then Steven woke up as if nothing had happened.

***

They got back in the car and were currently trekking across the desert to the coordinates they now had. Esmeray was stuck in the back seat while Layla drove and Steven was in the passenger seat and she was not happy about it.

Her arms were crossed over her chest and she was practically pouting as she asked Layla, "Why do you get to drive? We both know I'm the better driver."

"Because you got to drive last time and I wanted a turn so suck it up." She responded, not taking her eyes off of the not-road.

"But-"

"Nope. Go to sleep."

The dark haired woman, whose arms had just unfolded, crossed back over her chest and her body shifted so that she was sitting sideways. "No. I refuse."

"Darling, please," Steven said, turning in her seat to look at her, "You need your rest."

She stared at him for a moment before grumbling about how she can't say no to him then closing her eyes. Stupid big brown eyes.

Layla and Steven were quiet for a moment, waiting until Esme was asleep. Thankfully, she was very tried, no matter how much she wanted to deny it.

"We can't lose more time. Harrow must be headed back to the tomb." She paused for a moment before continuing, "Look, if he is, we're gonna need Marc, yeah?"

"Exactly. See? She gets it." Marc said to him in the rear view mirror of the car.

"No."

"No?"

"No. See, the thing is, we made a deal, Marc and I, that when he was done with Khonshu, he would disappear for good." Steven told her.

"But that deal didn't involve you getting Ray, Layla and us killed, did it? That's not gonna fly with me."

"You guys made a deal? That he would just disappear from my life? From Ray's life? And you didn't think that maybe we should've been made aware of that." Layla asked him passive-aggressively, not really passively.

"Oh. Well, hadn't he disappeared from your life already? And Esme's before that?"

She was quiet for a moment before he was right. "Yeah..I mean, whatever. His suit was his best feature, wasn't it? Didn't even have that anymore."