III

1 and a half months go by and their friendship now had a system. Every other day during the week, Esmeray would come to the museum in the morning, saying hello to Steven at the gift shop before walking around and drawing fashion sketches based on different historical events. Then when Stevens shift was finished, he would walk her him and they would talk.

About everything. But not really everything. On Stevens end, he didn't tell Esme about his sleeping disorder. While Esmeray didn't plan on ever telling him that she was trying to kill someone that looks just like him.

So they both had secrets.

But it was no secret to her that he fancied her. The way he looked at her, the way he would look away immediately and the way the tips of his ears and the cheeks would glow red at most times around her. She wasn't that stupid (at times). But she did have to say that it, his flusteredness, had calmed down over the past few weeks of being around her.

And maybe she was falling for him too, as dumb as that sounded with her situation. Falling for the man that had the same face as her enemy.

***

"Set, or Seth was a big villain amongst the gods and he murdered his very own brother, Osiris! That's certainly not cool. He was all about evil and darkness. It wouldn't be fun bumping into him on a dark night, would it?" Steven quipped at the end with a small smile.

He had been giving her different facts about different Egyptian gods and goddesses after she had asked, which he had been doing since they started walking home together. It was alright though, as she said when they first met, she liked his voice.

"Yeah that seems like bad idea." Esme said with a small laugh.

They two of them were walking done the cobblestone street, one that barely had any people on it and was slight wet from the rain earlier in the day. It was easy to walk Esme home first before walking back to his because it was just a few blocks away from his with a roundabout between them.

"I also read up on some stuff about Bastet, cause I know you said she was your favorite. Did you know that she was married to the God of the Moon, Khonshu? They were so utterly in love that when the other gods banished Khonshu, Bastet left the others, including her father and brother but wasn't able to reunite with her love." He said, looking ahead of himself instead of looking at her like he normally did.

Esmeray looked behind the both of them and made eye contact with Bastet herself, who had been trailing them on their walk. Her hands were clasped behind her back, cat skull floating above her slim body. The goddess chuckled deeply to herself and said, "Some of them just aren't that quick, darling."

She mouthed 'Oh hush' and waved her hand at her.

"Huh, that's a funny sight." Steven said catching her attention. When she looked towards the fountain at the roundabout (for people to walk, not cars), her face fell.

There was a black cat in the fountain, just swimming around. It wasn't even a big cat from the wild. Just a regular black cat with two different colored eyes.

Steven whipped his head at her when she heard her yell at the cat, "George! What the hell are you doing, mate? What have I told you about swimming in the fountain, get out."