IX

When they docked at the party, Layla smacking her bag into Marcs arms before being helped off the boat by Ray, the first thing Esmeray saw was the two large glass pyramids behind a big jousting ring. Definitely a big party as there were so many people.

Marc most have been reading her thoughts as he looked over at Layla then the party as he said, "This guy's got a lot of friends."

"Yeah, and a lot with guns."

"Fun." Ray commented sarcastically. She didn't like guns, knifes and battle axes were cool but guns were so...primitive. Maybe Bastet was rubbing off on her more than she realized.

They turned into the party, after Marc hid their bags and saw some weird out in the water.

Layla spoke to them, her arm hooked with Rays as they walked, she informing them of their new identities. "Remember, your name is Rufino Estrada. And your name, lovely lady on my arm, is Eden."

Her eyebrows furrowed a little, "No last name for me?"

Layla didn't say anything, just smacked her lips once and stared ahead of her. Esmeray's head tilted slightly to the side in confusion, Marc walking on the other side of the curly haired woman also wondering why he had a last name and she didn't.

Her face fell at the realization. "I'm your whore, aren't I?" She said pointedly.

She heard Marc hold in a laugh, something she hadn't heard in a long time but decided to hit him for it later.

"Just for night. It's good to have some arm candy at these types of things." Layla replied nonchalantly with a shrug.

Ray rolled her eyes before she remembered something and asked, "Wait, I thought your guys backstory was you two just got back from your honeymoon in the Maldives. How do I..." She looked past Layla and said to Marc, "Damn, you really hit the jackpot with us, Rufino."

He looked away exasperatedly from her smirk and teasing words, all three of them still walking further and further into the party. "Don't flatter yourself too much. Might get an even bigger head."

"Oh please, you have such a big ego that-"

"No, stop it! You two aren't doing this night." Layla whispered yelled at the two of them, making them shut up quickly like children being scolded.

"He started it."

"Did not."

Thankfully, Layla couldn't say anything more to them as they were coming up to the jousting ring with a row of guards spread out across the span of the fencing. In the middle of the ring were a bunch of guys on horses actually jousting with each other.

"Bek." Layla said to the large man walking towards them. He was African, bald and very handsome wrapped in a dark suit.

He smiled at her as he spoke to her, "Layla."

"It's been a while."

They shook fists as he said, "Good to see you. Right this way."

"Thank you."

"He's looking forward to seeing you. After Madripoor, I'm sure you two will have a lot to talk about." He led them up to the gate before saying, "Excuse me for one moment. Mr. Mogart will be with you shortly."