VIII

When Esmeray woke up, the last she remembered was being in the counter yard of the chapel and Bastet's words telling her she was too stubborn to make this decision for the both of them. What decision, you ask? The decision to follow Marc and Khonshu to Cairo to get to Ammit's tom before Harrow.

Bastet had ruined her plan of not being around Marc.

Her barely parted eyes looked around to find her bearings. The room she was in liking like an elephant has run through it, things knocked over, sheets on the floor, the long standing mirror to her side had a large crack near the corner of it. The window right across from the bedroom was wide open, the curtains flung to the sides. Through it she could see two very large pyramids and Cairo below.

Fuck.

The knocking at the door was really the thing that woke her up, the knocking that was still happening. Esmeray stumbled out of the bed, wearing the same black shirt and orange velvet skirt that she had on yesterday, or how ever many days it had been since she was knocked out.

Her foot knocked into a empty whisky bottle on the ground, black eyes seeing two more in different parts of the room and scoffed. Marc
could always handle his alcohol.

She opened the door a little, just able to see the maid on the other side.

"معذرة سيدتي." She said, testing if Esmeray spoke Arabic. "Excuse me, ma'am?"

"نعم؟" "Yes?"

The woman seemed to brighten knowing she could speak her home language, "تسجيل المغادرة خلال ثلاثين دقيقة ، سيدتي." "Check out is in thirty minutes, ma'am." She seemed to peek around Esmeray's shoulder to see the slightly destroyed room.

"شكرا انسة." "Thank you, miss."

The maid nodded to her before starting to walk down the hall but she was soon stopped Esmeray calling out to her. The black haired woman thought for a second, cursing herself on the inside for what she was about to say.

هل رأيت من رحل زوجي؟ ترك ملاحظة هذا الصباح لكنه لم يعد" "Did you see when my husband left? He left a note but hadn't come back."

"أعتقد أنني رأيته يغادر حوالي الساعة الثامنة والثامنة والنصف؟"
"I think I saw him leave around 8, 8:30?"

Esmeray thanked her before closing the door and leaned against it. An angry sigh left her mouth as she went through everything that happened.

Marc dragged her to Cairo and then abandoned her in a hotel.

What...a....dick.

***

As Esmeray wandered around the city of Cairo, memories flooded back to her of the last time she was here. When Marc stabbed her in the back and 'died'. She groaned and shook it off, going over to a market stand that was selling metal trinkets and jewelry.

The first thing that caught her eye was perfect. It was a metal casing in the shape of a large claw on a sliver chain. It reminded her of a set of rings her mother had when she was a child, ones that she was not allowed to play with because her mother claimed them to be too sharp for little girls.