VI

Steven screamed as he woke up, scrambling out of his bed in a panic and ran off the end. But he quickly remembered the fact that he had something tied to his ankle, the rope snapping back and causing his body to hit the floor with a loud thud. He groaned loudly and just laid there for a second.

Esme sat up in his bed, her eyes mostly closed but was able to see her boyfriend laying on the ground.

"Oh baby.." She muttered before standing up and walking over sleepily to undo the ankle cuff on him.

Last night, when Esmeray felt Marc use Khonshu's power to turn into Moon Knight, someone that she hadn't ever seen but heard tales about over and over again. From Bastet, and from her late grandmother who passed when she was 5. She figured that Marc might need the first aid kit and Steven might need a little R&R.

So when he got home that night, the first aid kit and the hydrogen peroxide with sitting on the kitchen table and she was passed out under the covers in his bed.

"You alright? Your face okay?" She asked as she helped him off the ground.

"Yeah, 'M fine, I just-" He paused when he actually looked at her, most of his sleepiness gone, "You're wearing my shirt."

"Oh yeah..is that okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, of course it-it is. You look fantastic. I-I just have to do something real quick." Steven rushed to the bathroom quickly, not for the reason Esme assumed, thankfully.

He opened the doors on his bathroom mirror, glaring at his reflection as he let out a sigh before saying, "You there? Hmm?" to the American man that there last night. Whatever happened last night. He couldn't figure out if it was really or if it was a dream. If Esme hadn't been here when he woke up, he would have ran to her place, just like last time. She was the only solid thing in his life at the moment, the only thing he truly knew was real.

"No? Yeah, didn't think so."

"Steven, do you want some coffee?" Esme asked from the kitchen.

"Uh, yes please! 1 sugar, please."

"Got it!"

Steven looked back at the mirror once more, just checking one last time before walking out to Esmeray.

***

Again, the two of them rode the bus together, got off in front of the museum and walked up the unnecessarily large staircase together. But instead of Esmeray kissing him on the cheek and leaving him to his job, the both of them stopped when they saw the yellow caution tape and a repair man with a tool box walk past.

Esme had wrapped her hand around Stevens shaking one as he seemed a little more on edge than usual. And she hated that she knew why he was on edge and couldn't tell him. It wasn't her secret to tell, it was Marcs.

"Bruv, hey," JB said, pulling the black and yellow caution tape across the entrance to the Egyptian wing. "Oh, hey. Bro, it is proper mad in here."

"What happened? What is it?" Steven asked.

"They're saying burst pipes, but don't look like that to me."