XI

Steven pulled the ushabti of crocodile goddess from inside Alexander the Great's sarcophagus with a small gasp. He stared at it for a moment before hearing footsteps coming into the chambers with him. Slowly walking towards him was Esme. He had gone to hide behind the tomb but a wide smile grew when he saw his girlfriend and he popped up.

Holding the statue in his hand, his arm shot up into the air to show it to her like an excited child. "Esme, look! We won." Steven let out a small laugh form his excitement. Esme said nothing though. "And the ushabti goes to us."

As she was walking closer to him, he noticed how her eyes were grey at the moment, her pupils smaller than usual and almost thinner looking. She also wasn't smiling. Which was most of the time but her face was different now. It looked like when she looked at Harrow.

"I had to go digging down old Alexander the Great's gullet, but I found it." He explained to her. When the two of them were across from each other, the low moat with stepping stones between them. Steven looked at her and the smile turned into a small frown as he asked, "Are you alright, love?"

"Can he hear me?" She asked, the first thing she had said since coming in here.

"Alexander? I don't think so. God, I hope not."

Esme would have laughed at his obliviousness but she couldn't right now.

"What happened to Jeffery Saldona?" She almost yelled, her voice echoing off the walls. Esme stepped towards him, across the water until she was right in front of him. "I'm talking to you."

"What?" He was very confused now.

"I'm talking to you, Marc!" She shoved him back slightly, her mind going blank to the fact that she was pushing Steven, not Marc at the moment.

His facial expression changed after his looked up for a moment and she could see the way his face fell back into Marc's normal facial expression.

"Come on. Let's go, let's go, let's go." Marc tried to grab her wrist and pull her towards the exit but she didn't let him.

"No."

"We need to go right now."

"Marc, no. No." He wrapped his arm around her like he was going to pick her up and carry her out of there but Ray saying, "What happened to Jeffery Saldona?!" made him stop grabbing her and looked her in the eye.

"Listen to me. We need to leave right now. I will explain everything, I swear. But we have to go."

She could a step back, shaking her head slightly, before asking, "What was your mission that night? Did you kill him?"

"Of course not. Of course I didn't."

Ray looked everywhere but him as this sunk in, asking, "But something happened to him not by my hand."

He let out a loud sigh, "I-"

"You know what happened."

Then it clicked. Remembering that night, remembering everything that happened leading up to the stabbing. What Harrow had said.