Chapter Thirteen

Emilio walked ahead of her, a figure of confidence as she struggled to come to grips with the situation.

She wasn't going home. Not unless she started working with Emilio rather than against him. She needed to start cooperating. Why was everything so much easier said than done?

Why is he so nice to look at?

Above that, she'd sensed some sort of flip in the hunter. A change. He was being different, like he'd had a change in outlook. Like he'd seen the light. He'd had an epiphany. Naturally, he'd decided against sharing it with her. And of course, naturally, all it took was him crushing her for him to come by this magical realisation.

Nazreen's knowledge of sex and all things appertaining was limited, but she thought- possibly at her own downfall- that the hunter was trying to flirt with her.

As he walked, he kept glancing back, looking her up and down with what she'd dubbed a flirty smile.

Unexperienced, Nazreen was done for. Because Emilio? The man was flawless.

He was tall, with long legs that she tried to imagine undressed. She knew his thighs were thick, which made her curious as to what he was hiding. Sheltered from the entire world- literally- Nazreen had never seen a man in all his naked glory. Would she see Emilio in that state? She tried to picture what he'd look like. A man like him was big, surely.

Of course, she'd seen his upper half. But she wanted to know where those runes ended. Where they stretched to. God help her. She wanted to follow them... with her tongue.

His hair was dark and soft, tumbling across his forehead. His eyes were hard and dangerous at the best of times, but she'd been seeing glimmers of amusement as he spoke to her.

Hadn't Evette said she'd be taking a sexy holiday?

Was Emilio the holiday?

He definitely had the sexy part nailed.

"I can feel you staring at me Princess. Something you want to say? We both know you have a voice. We've established you're not afraid to use it."

"I was just thinking."

"Care to share?"

"About your mission."

Which was just one of the many things bothering her right now.

Annaliese said that powerful Queens always had the answers. Nazreen had lived her entire life never knowing anything. She'd never been powerful.

"And here I was thinking you were thinking about me. I'm disappointed, snowflake. You got my hopes up."

"You're too arrogant."

"A man can dream, can't he?" He looked her up and down, his look saying things she wasn't ready to know. I dream about you, Princess.

"The mission," She pressed. "Is this the type where I could die at any given time?"

"You're not going to die."

"But—"

"But nothing. If anyone came for you, they'd have a job getting past me. I'll take you to this bar I go to sometime snowflake. You'll see I'm not lying when I say I'm the best of the best." He liked the thought of that more than he should've. The thought of Nazreen becoming involved in his world entirely. "Right now, all you need to worry about is the rogue witch. When we find her, she'll curse my scythe and then she'll send the two of us out of here. Don't worry about the getting there part. I'll figure something out."

She didn't have a choice but to trust him with this. In matters like this, he was experienced. He knew what he was doing. He knew how to navigate these forests. For now, she was just tagging along, hoping she didn't die on the way.