Chapter Thirty-Six

She could hear his bones breaking. His screams were echoing through the throne room, reaching her through the closed doors.

She grimaced on his behalf, flinching with each scream that came from inside.

Each hit to him was like a hit to her.

Had either of them seen this coming?

That golden line that connected them had her feeling this.

The spirit of her vampire was crying, cringing at the hunter's pain.

He'd better survive this.

He would, right?

How many times had he told her that he was the best of the best? That she had nothing to worry about?

Emilio had been seasoned by time and experience. He knew what he was doing. He could hold his own.

Another agonised scream reached her ears.

He can't do this on his own.

What was she supposed to do to help?

Strategically, marching straight in there wasn't an option. Like Emilio had said, if the God saw an opportunity to hurt him more through her, then he wouldn't miss the chance.

So what was she supposed to do?

Last time she'd been in this position, she'd failed then.

Oh God—history repeating itself.

It was like she was on that stage all over again, freezing up as her biggest enemy glared forwards from the side. With Killian's hand wrapped so tightly around Annaliese's throat- going in for the kill- Annaliese had needed Nazreen, just like the hunter did now.

But I couldn't do anything.

She'd been weak, just like she was now.

He needs me!

But there was nothing for her to do.

Nazreen was useless. Pathetic.

Physically, she had nothing to bring to a fight. Her man was in there getting his ass beat. The same man who'd repeatedly kicked her ass in a fight. She couldn't bring anything to that room that he hadn't already bought.

So what was she supposed to do?

I can't stand here and do nothing.

With the next scream of pain, her eyes brimmed with tears.

Think, think, think!

She thought through everything she'd ever learnt in Castle Solum. Through every hit to her pride, to every fail, to every fucking Queen lesson.

Nothing of use was coming to head.

Nothing but bad reminders.

I can't do this. I'm going to fail him. I—

She was weak. Useless. Crap.

She needed to be strong right now.

The hunter was going to die.

Think!

In what's finished don't start over, may the shadow forge your hew.

She had to do something. The hunter had told her to stay away. To keep out of this. To leave him to it. But damnit. She couldn't. She had to go in there. To do something.

Fuck it, if she could stab Ronan, she could do anything.

But Ronan wasn't a God.

Fucking hell!