Chapter Forty-Nine

This is bad. Bad didn't begin to cover it. This was the worst-case scenario. This was the very kind of bad she'd been dreading.

The werewolf King had spotted the hunter. The same hunter he'd vowed to kill if they were to ever cross paths again.

And here they were, crossing paths.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit!

Could things get any worse than this?

Emilio'd had his ass handed to him by this werewolf before. Strong or not, he couldn't hold his own against Lorcan. Lorcan was an immortal werewolf King in his prime, double Emilio's age. With the strength of every werewolf, Emilio didn't come close to standing a chance.

Especially not in a ball room surrounded by the werewolf King's allies.

Her heart lodged itself in her throat, fear trickling in.

This is bad.

The werewolf King had hit his half-shift. The golden colour of his eyes meant that Lorcan- the man- was no longer in the room. Here, they were dealing with a beast. A beast that had its own set of fangs and long, dagger like claws. A beast driven by anger and instinct.

This is very, very bad.

Everything was going to the shits.

His body would tower over Emilio's in just a second. When it came down to fighting, her hunter wouldn't stand a chance.

She couldn't let anything bad happen to him. Physically, she'd have to throw herself in the way. He was hers. And they saved each other's asses nowadays.

What to do? What to fucking do?

"Nazreen?" Sebastian called. "Everything alright?"

"N-no."

She shook him off, propelling herself into the crowds after Lorcan.

Maybe if she could get to him first she could...

She could what? Reason with him? Reasoning didn't stand a chance. With the man, maybe. But there'd be no reasoning with Lorcan's beast.

It was too late already.

The werewolf advanced through the crowd, pushing immortals out of his way.

Shit! Fucking shit!

She hastened after him, doing the same.

Lorcan's half-shift caught the attention of the guards lining the walls. They jumped into action, following his golden gaze to Emilio.

No!

They grabbed him by the arms, forcing him up straight.

No. No. No. No. No!

This is bad. Very, very bad.

She was too far away to hear. They gave his body a shake. He thrashed against them, but it got him nowhere.

He's not even trying.

He found her gaze, mouthing words she didn't recognise.

What?

They gave his body another tug, dragging him out of sight.

No! Fucking damnit, no!

Nazreen reached the hall at the same time as the pissy werewolf. The doors slammed closed behind them, blocking the drama from prying eyes.

Her man was already gone from sight.

The doors gave a jostle. An angry blonde stormed through, a baby bouncing in her arms.