Chapter Forty-Five

Just a short way from the doors to Castle Solum, Seth and Emilio stood by the walls, immersed in shadows.

Emilio scanned the grounds, searching for any threats. The guards had been stationed more so within the Castle, where they could monitor interior activity.

They'd been more inside before too. When Emilio had escaped with Nazreen, he'd gotten her out through the window.

He glanced up there now. The lights were out. She was probably asleep, unsuspecting.

"The Castle's on super high alert, so try not to make too much noise." Emilio rolled his eyes. As if they'd have to worry about him making noise. This tracker didn't seem to know the meaning of quiet. He loved the sound of his own voice too much. "The goal is to get to the third floor. I'll get you to Nazreen's room, then you do whatever the hell you want from there. Now before you get ahead of yourself, this isn't us prostituting the Princess out, okay?" Never had Emilio fought more to restrain himself from killing someone. "We're not hooking you both up for a quick shag. Vetty's got a big futuristic plan to set some big futuristic things in motion."

"Care to share what?"

He didn't like walking into these things blind.

"If I must." Seth cleared his throat. "Your job in this is to help out Nazreen." As he'd do anyway. "You may be aware that she suffers with a bit of a... I wouldn't call it a performance issue. I've heard all about your cheeky dental sex." The hunter ground his teeth together. Don't kill him. He's of use to you. "But she's got a... confidence deficiency." Yeah, that was definitely the case. He knew how readily she shrunk back into that shell. "Basically, Nazreen's going to do something super big in the next few days. Something bigger than stabbing the leader of the warlocks. But you know how the future is. Nothing's for definite until it happens. Whatever she needs to do needs to be definite. You, Mr Hunter, are going to make it definite. You're like crack to her confidence."

"Do I get to know what she's going to do?"

"Let me think about it." The dark didn't matter. Emilio saw him tap his finger to his chin and suck his teeth in. "No."

"Is it dangerous?"

"On a scale of one to what?"

Stay calm, don't kill him.

"Ten."

"Ten being dangerous and one being safe?"

"Yes."

He nodded, humming. "The Richter scale's what measures seismic activity, right?"

"Yes."

"Great. Just asking. I'm not allowed to give you a number."

You've got to be fucking shitting me...

His fingers flexed to kill him.

"Then why the fuck are you asking about earthquakes?"

"Because I can tell you that the outcome of loud mouse's decisions in the next few days are going to be cataclysmic."

Loud mouse.

Fuck's sake. Don't kill him. Don't kill him. Don't kill him.

How his vampire had grown up around these people and stayed sane was beyond him.

"I'm not letting her throw herself into danger."

"Which is probably why you've not been permitted a number. For all you know, this decision could be the safest one she ever makes. Equally, it might not be. Do you see where I'm going with this?"