Chapter Forty-Three

From the overhanging balcony, Nazreen uneasily watched this Sebastian Petrov.

No power in Veneficus could get her to marry him. That was for certain.

From above, she noted he was the polar opposite of everything she'd grown to adore in a man.

His hair was a white, blonde colour, slicked back by gel. He looked ghostly. Nazreen's fingers had gotten used to the messy, dark black disarray of Emilio's hair.

His eyes were vampire red and eery. The eyes of her partner should bring her comfort. These eyes made her feel iffy. Uneased. His gait was tall and lanky, which was slightly more familiar. But his walk was all wrong.

Her hunter walked with an air of confidence. He knew he was the best of the best. He didn't have to preach it. This man walked funny. His steps were all calculated and prescribed. He was trying too hard to seem powerful. To let people know he was intimidating.

Nazreen didn't want to be afraid of her man.

Precisely that. She wanted her man. She wanted that gentle kiss back. The one where he'd promised that only she would get to see his soft side.

Looking at Sebastian Petrov, he didn't seem to have a soft side.

"What do you think of him?" Seth asked, all hush-hush.

"I don't think it matters."

"Yeah, but if it did. What are you getting?"

She'd never work out with this random vampire man. To her, he seemed power hungry. Didn't he want to wait for his soulmate?

"I want Emilio."

She missed him already. As soon as this bullshit with the throne was handled, she'd get him back. Somehow, she still had to warm Annaliese up to him. She'd barely managed to discourage her from sending out a bounty for his head.

"I figured you'd say that. From my vast knowledge of sex and all things concerning it, I'll tell you. That man cries during sex. I'm all for men crying, but in the bedroom, no one should be crying."

"And I'm supposed to marry him."

He nudged her side. "It won't have gotten back to your hunter yet. But I'll bet he'll want to talk to you when it gets out. What's your plan? Do you marry old red eyes over here or run away?"

She hadn't even thought about running away, but it wouldn't work out.

Annaliese would find her eventually, and then she'd have to explain herself. Chronos would lose his shit if he had to deal with more of Annaliese's worrying. Finding Nazreen would become the top priority.

"As if I could run away. Annaliese has vamped up security."

"It's a shame you're not one with the shadows."

So Evie had told him everything.

"Are you suggesting I run away?"

"I'm suggesting you stay here and let the future do as it may. I'm just trying to figure out how you feel about all of this."

"Why do you care?"

"Because it's interesting that you can talk now, and I've got nothing better to do. You tell me."

Beneath them, the vampire turned to a nearby mirror where he began to inspect himself, polishing up those pearly white fangs before meeting the Princess.

"I don't want to marry Sebastian Petrov. I want Emilio."

"Atta girl. Now all you've got to do is break the news to Annaliese." Her stomach dropped, skin paling. "I'm sure you'll figure something out. Or not. Just don't tell Chronos. Oh, and by the way. She's looking for you."