Chapter Thirty-Seven

Her knees hit the floor, feeling weak. She felt tired, like every ounce of energy had been drained from her.

And it probably had.

Somehow, she'd become a shadow and killed a God all in one sitting.

Ah shit—she was going to be sick.

With the scythe now on the floor and little pieces of God ash floating about, Emilio's mission was over. They were finally free of this warlock bullshit. Free to pick the pieces up and whatever.

She turned to assess the struggling hunter. He laid with his back to the ground, awake. He was watching her. She couldn't work out his expression.

"You're alright," She said, ignoring how he was quite the opposite. Flustered fingers stumbled across his chest. She grabbed the hilt of one of his knives, tugging it free from his skin. He groaned, seeming to bite back a scream. "Sorry. I thought it'd be less painful out. So you can—so—"

His skin would be able to heal now. She tore some of his toga out of the way, giving the skin some space.

Her finger caught on the edge of the knife, drawing blood. They both watched it fall, painting the knife. As if by magic, her skin sewed itself shut immediately.

Emilio grabbed her hand, turning it this way and that, rotating it even as it hurt him to do so.

"It's healed itself," She murmured.

"Undying."

She'd hit her immortality. Physically, everything standing between them was gone. Now, she'd be invulnerable to harm. Sure, she could still die, but she'd heal easy. Her skin would repair itself. The elements could no longer touch her.

He dropped his head back to the floor in relief, bringing her hand with him.

At least that was one thing less to worry about.

"Finally," He added.

"I'm..."

"You're immortal, snowflake."

Better yet, with healing, her vampire side won out. It'd take the average witch hours to heal something as simple as a cut. Nazreen's vampire had it done in real time.

"How do you know for definite?"

"Did your skin heal like that before?"

No. Which meant she was really immortal.

I'm finally there.

But that didn't matter. Not right now. They had an eternity to deal with that.

She made a fuss over his chest, hands falling over any injured skin she could find.

"Why aren't you healing?"

She couldn't have just saved him for nothing.

"Relax." He gave her hand a weak squeeze, pulling it higher until it reached his mouth. He placed a soft kiss to the back of it. "This is Godly damage."

"Meaning?"

"It'll just take a while longer to heal." Which meant she had a while longer to keep worrying. He gave another squeeze to her hand. "I'm stable. You have nothing to worry about."

"You've given me everything to worry about. I thought you were going to die."

"I told you I'd be alright, didn't I?"

She scoffed. "I had to save your stupid ass. You'd be dead if it wasn't for me."

"We save each other's asses. That's how it should be."