Chapter Forty-One

Nazreen's heart lodged itself in her throat when she crawled through the hole in the wall, leaving the hunter behind. She couldn't so much as turn back. The wall blocked the way.

There was no use in crying about it.

The longer she spent out here breaking down in tears, the longer she'd spend in the castle completing the shit that needed to be done.

Holding onto the plastic bag tightly, she marched towards the castle.

Heads turned at the sight of her walking through the gardens. Jaws dropped too.

It's because I have a stride now. No it wasn't but whatever.

The daylight meant it was only witches out in the gardens, all of whom recognised her. Some of the less stiff ones even stopped to point.

I'm back.

Now how long till she could leave again?

She stopped by the entrance where the guards stood in her way.

Deep breath Nazreen.

"Allow me—allow me past please."

So she hadn't got that total powerhouse thing down yet, but Emilio said there was nothing wrong with shy. And he was right. She didn't have to start relaying out full blown speeches to qualify as more confident.

This was enough.

The guard did a double take at the sight of her.

"Pr—Princess Nazreen?"

"Hello."

"Past? Y-yes. Immediately."

He cleared his throat. Alongside the other guard, they stepped aside, allowing her through.

Just as she entered, she spotted a familiar face at the other end of the hall.

Naturally Evette would know she was here. The future seer saw the future after all.

Her confused husband followed behind her, carrying a blonde-haired baby. How did babies grow so much in so few months?

"Nazreen!"

The blonde witch was supercharged with energy. Meanwhile, Nazreen was dragging her feet along the floor, fighting the urge to turn back and run away from all of this.

"H—hi?"

Evette stopped when they were toe to toe, bright, knowing blue eyes scanning her.

"It is so great to see you. How are you doing? You look different. That slouch has gone. Much better on the shoulders, isn't it?"

So Evette knew she'd changed. There were no surprises there. This woman had known everything that would happen to her months before it really did. Which meant she knew what was still yet to happen.

Nazreen was dying for knowledge.

"I—what?"

"How are you feeling?" She looked the Princess up and down, taking in the frown and sad pouting of the lips. "I see. Not long now."

Not long. Till what? If the oracle wouldn't specify, Nazreen would draw her own conclusions.

"I need to speak—I need to speak to Annaliese."

"I've already called for a meeting in the war rooms. We'll get a nice cup of tea in you. This won't be as bad as you think it'll be. Annaliese'll be there soon, but you know how she is with turning up to things on time." She pulled Nazreen in for a hug, squeezing her tight. "Just be brave," She whispered.