Chapter 1

Isabella's mother has been cutting her hair for the past 5 minutes, claiming that she 'shouldn't let her dead end grow out'.

Her mother says 'there's an art to loosing yourself', but Isabella hasn't figured it out yet. She's suppose to never think of herself, to help others.

Isabella's mother opens a cabinet that contains a mirror, and tells her to never look in any mirror for too long.

"Are you nervous" Sophia, her mother asks.

Isabella shakes her head and sighs.

"Nope, we're you.. for your test?" She questions.

Sophia shakes her head and smiles.

"Mhm, no.. I was terrified".

Isabella finds her mother's answer amusing and she gives out a shaky laugh.

"But I didn't have any reason to be, and neither do you" Sophia continues, tucking a strand of hair behind Isabella's ear.

"That's all you get" Sophia says closing the cabinet containing the long piece of glass also known as a mirror.

"Rules are rules".

Today Isabella takes the test, she's scared it'll tell her she's not abnegation that she has to leave her family but she's even more scared that It'll tell her to stay.

For her sister Crystal, it's easy, she's a natural.

"Isabella, you gonna get the other bags?" Crystal questions.

Isabella immediately goes to help the older women help carry her shopping in.

"What if she'd been blind, or disabled would you have helped her then?" Crystal questions her sister.

"I was going to help her, you just beat me to it" Isabella states.

"It's not that hard you know that" Crystal answers.

"For you maybe" Isabella argues.

"Just relax Isabella, take a deep breath and trust the test" Crystal states as they walk into their lines to take the test.

Trust the test, the test will tell me who I am. Where I belong.

Is she smart, kind, is she honest, selfless or brave?

"Hey, so all the food were not getting, you guys are giving away to the factionless right?" As a handful of abnegation nods.

"You're a liar, why are you lying to me. Everybody knows you keep it for yourselfs, why don't you just admit it?"

Abnegation is dead silent until the same candor speaks up again.

"I'm taking to you, are all you stiffs deaf or sonthing?" He snaps as he pushes back an abnegation.

Isabella was about to step in, until Crystal pulls her back.

"Isabella, don't" Crystal let's go of her shoulders.

Isabella let's out a sigh, and turns around at the sound of the train passing along the metal tracks. Dauntless kids come jumping out the carts rolling onto grass, and running to their line.