12

(mini recap of the end of the last chapter)

The woman points the gun at me, "You filthy BITCH!"

(Reader's POV)

I blink, "Uh... Ma'am... please put the gun down... We can talk about this."

She shakes her head, "You dirty whore, get the fuck away from my son. STOP TRYING TO STEAL MY KIDS FROM ME!"

"I'm not stealing your kids..." I say calmly.

"Yeah! We just prefer her because she's not a crazy bitch with a gun!" snaps Michael.

I sigh, he's trying to be brave but he's being stupid about it.

The woman shoots the ground in front of Michael just barely missing his foot causing him to jump back in fear, "Don't you dare disrespect me!"

This causes something to snap inside me. I take a step in front of Michael and look this woman in the eyes, "You can have an issue with me, and point your stupid gun at me, but don't you EVER try to hurt Michael or his siblings." I look over my shoulder to look at a still shocked Michael staring at me, "Mikey, go find someone to call for help, I'm sure someone's getting curious at this point anyway."

He nods and runs off towards the nearest house.

(Michael's POV)

I run as fast as I can to the nearest house, I don't want Y/N to get hurt. Not only would it make everyone upset, my father would blame me. Maybe it is partly my fault though... My mother probably never would've stopped if she didn't see me with Y/N.

When I reach the door I start banging. A woman who kinda looks like Y/N but older answers the door, "Hello? Can I help you young boy?"

I nod, trying to catch my breath, "I need to call 911! There's a woman with a gun threatening my... uh... stepmom!"

The woman's eyes widened and she opened the door some more, pointing to a phone hanging on the wall in the kitchen, "Go ahead."

I give a little thumbs up and dart over to the phone, calling for help. When they assure me that help is on the way and that I can hang up I put the phone back. As I walk back through this woman's house I notice the photos on the wall. I stop in front of what looks like a more recent school photo. "Y/N...?" I think out loud.

The woman pops up beside me, "You know my daughter??"

I nod slowly, "She doesn't want to see you though..." I then continue making my way to the door. As I approach the door I hear another gunshot and loud yelling. I open the door quickly, "Y/N!" I scream as I run out, worried that she got shot. The woman runs out behind me.

When I reach where we were I get greeted by a horrifying sight. My mother is still holding the gun and now Y/N is holding her side, blood seeping from between her fingers. Her head slowly turns toward me then she looks back at my mother and she collapses onto the ground.

I start crying, and run over to her, "Nononono, Y/N!" I crouch beside her, "It's going to be okay! I promise! Help is coming! It's going to be okay! You're gonna be okay..."

(Reader's POV)

The stinging hot feeling in my side is overwhelming. I barely even noticed when my body hit the ground. I see Michael crouching beside me, he's talking. I don't know what he's saying but I think he's trying to comfort me. I watch someone else walk up to Clara and start yelling. Then they also crouch beside me. My mother? My vision starts to blur, I can't help it, I laugh. I'm going to die. I've fought so hard to get where I was, all for one person to take it away while I'm still just getting started.