Chapter 1

The journey into the heart of Lothlorien was a quiet one, for the most part. As the weary fellowship followed the marchwarden, they were each caught up in their own thoughts, most of which were directed towards the one member now missing. The flight from Moria to the borders of the elven lands had not allowed much time for grief or mourning. It was likely that everything would catch up to them once they arrived in the Golden Wood and were able to finally stop and rest.

The lone elf among the fellowship found his thoughts venturing elsewhere, however. While Legolas felt sorrow for the loss of Mithrandir, as they grew ever nearer to where the Lady of the Wood dwelled, he felt nervous energy coursing through him, making it difficult to maintain his normally calm exterior.

Though it had been 100 years, he could clearly see her face in his mind from that day. Bright blue eyes bloodshot and rimmed in red. Her pale cheeks coated in tears that mixed with mud and blood from battle. Blonde hair falling from a long braid. The air of utter and complete brokenness.

And he was the one to blame.

She was here in Caras Galadhon, this he knew. However, he did not know what he would do upon seeing her, speaking to her, after so much time had passed. Legolas had dreamed of this, to be sure, though it did not often end well. While he hoped that enough time had passed that Elanor would perhaps forgive him and accept him back into her life, he could not help but think himself undeserving.

But it was better to try than to continue living life as he had for the last century, always wondering. Always worrying. Never knowing if she would return. He felt that part of his soul had departed as well when she left.

Memories of that day flinted through his mind like moths attracted to the light. The shouting. Her tears. The way the life left her eyes and it seemed as though her entire soul splintered apart before him. He had been too harsh, acting out of grief, fear and anger. Pushing her away when he should have been pulling her close.

And then after it was all said and done, Elanor was gone.

It was not luck that brought the fellowship to Lothlorien, Legolas firmly believed this. But while part of him hoped this was his opportunity to mend the ties that he had so viciously broken that day, he worried that it was too late.

He glanced around him, noting the marchwarden - Haldir - watching him closely, though his expression betrayed nothing that was going through his mind. Almost without thinking, Legolas wanted to lift his chin slightly, narrow his eyes, assert his dominance as the son of the King of Mirkwood. But he stopped himself, finding it unfair to the marchwarden. Before the prince could think more of it, Haldir returned his attention to leading the fellowship towards where they would meet with Galadriel and Celeborn.

"We are here," Haldir said, motioning towards a grand staircase that wrapped around the outside of a large, magnificent tree that seemed to glow from within. Aragorn cast a worried glance around their party before wordlessly starting up the stairs, the others falling in step behind him.

 Aragorn cast a worried glance around their party before wordlessly starting up the stairs, the others falling in step behind him