Original Version - Chapter 1

It was with great sorrow that the fellowship took in their moonlit surroundings. After their meeting with the Lady of the Wood, they were now waiting for their accommodations to be made ready. It was this moment that they each allowed the weight of the past few days roll over them as they dealt with their grief. Even Merry and Pippin were unnaturally quiet. As they stood, a soft, mournful song started up from somewhere, the voice seeming to come from within the trees themselves.

Legolas looked up, closing his eyes briefly as he took in the sorrowful song. It had been such a long time since he had heard a lament as this. He could almost swear that the voice that now floated through the wood was the same from then, though he knew it was only wishful thinking.

"What's it mean?" one of the hobbits asked. 

Legolas opened his eyes and explained that it was a song of mourning for Mithrandir. The group then drifted into silence again, each grieving for their travel companion in their own way.

Legolas found his thoughts drifting towards Mirkwood, spurred by the song. Memories floated like apparitions in front of him. Golden, wavy hair pulling out from a braid while riding through the forest. A flash of deep blue eyes. A smile. A soft musical laugh.

It had been 100 years since he had last seen her. They had been together almost every day for nearly 3,000 years and then she was suddenly gone. There had been no good-bye. No explanation. She had just vanished one day while he was out on patrol. Not even his own father would tell him where she went or if she would return. And there had been no word from her, though her father would often assure Legolas that she was safe.

He was grateful that the council on the ring had come when it did. Mirkwood now held too many painful reminders of what the elf prince had lost.

First his mother. And Tauriel. But before the captain of the guard had left, he had lost his dearest, oldest friend.

He had gladly taken on the duty of representing his father in other lands outside the elven kingdom, hoping to find new purpose. But that had brought him here – to Lothlorien – mourning yet another loss. Sighing, he closed his eyes, allowing for just a few moments for his thoughts to go back to that day.

 Sighing, he closed his eyes, allowing for just a few moments for his thoughts to go back to that day

Legolas strode through the halls of Mirkwood, his feet taking him down the familiar corridors. He could move through them almost in his sleep. He had returned early from a patrol and wished nothing more than to see her and share his adventures. Not much had happened, but still; he shared everything with her.

"Elanor!" he called out, walking into her chambers but then stopping abruptly. 

He looked around the sitting room, seeing open trunks and two maids paused in their packing. They quickly dropped into curtseys.

"My lord," they murmured.

"Where is the Lady Elanor?" he asked, looking around in confusion. "I was not aware that she was going anywhere."