Original Version - Chapter 14

The next day, Elanor stood calmly in the throne room, listening as the wizard updated them on what had happened during the night. Her blue eyes moved over to the two halflings, with Pippin looking rather ashamed. Her heart went out to him. While he had potentially put them all in danger, she understood how strong a hold such magical objects would have on someone.

Braen stood at her side, also listening in as Gandalf informed the king that he and Pippin would be leaving for Gondor. He then urged the king to ride to Gondor's aid. A back and forth between the king and Aragorn had ensued, though she calmly stayed out of it, deciding the politics of men were best left to men. She was only there to offer aid in battle - whether Rohan chose to join that battle or not.

"They should leave now. Go and fight," Braen said softly to her, his eyes still fixed on the mortals.

"It is not our place to step in," she replied, glancing over at him. 

She winced slightly as a small pinch of pain hit her temple. She had continued drinking after retiring in her room the night before, worked up by her argument with Legolas, until she had finally fallen into a dreamless, dead sleep. And yet, she still arose early in the morning with the rest of her kin.

"But should we not say something in aid of the future king?" he asked softly, looking over at her. 

Elanor looked towards Aragorn, but said nothing. Finally, King Theoden said that if Gondor called for aid, then Rohan would answer. She breathed a sigh of relief, noting that the battle to end all battles would go much better with the army of Rohan there as well. And regardless of what King Theoden felt about Gondor, this war affected them all. Even if they did not go to Gondor, they would still be drawn into it further.

All hope for a final victory rested on the tiny shoulders of a hobbit miles away from them. Elanor once again hoped that Sam and Frodo were safe and still on their journey, for it would be one fraught with danger.

"It seems King Theoden has finally seen sense," she replied dully as Aragorn turned his attention to them, walking over. She bowed her head to him. "We will be ready to ride out with you when the time comes."

"Thank you, my lady," he replied, a slight look of relief on his face.

"If you'll excuse us, we should see to our warriors and make sure that they will be ready," she said. He nodded again as she and Braern strode off. "We need to replenish our arrows and see that our blades have been properly cleaned and sharpened."

"They have, my lady," Braern said.

"And also mend our armor," Elanor continued.

"Yes, my lady," he said in response.

"See to it that we have provisions ready," she said. 

Braern stopped and grabbed Elanor's arm, turning her to look at him.

"Everything is under control, my lady," he said. Elanor met his eyes and nodded, turning to look out across the sprawling village. "There are not many of us left so we should be ready to leave at a moment's notice."

"I want to ensure that we do not lose anymore," she replied, not looking at him. "The time of the elves is coming to an end and I want to make sure that those who remain are able to cross the seas when this is all over."

"You are a strong leader, Lady Elanor," Braern said firmly, causing her to meet his eyes. She nodded slightly. "You look as though you did not get much sleep. Perhaps you should get some rest. I can seen to our soldiers."

"No, I am fine," she said, stepping away from him and continuing on, lifting her chin slightly. 

If she were truly to be a strong leader then now was as good a time as ever to show it.