Original Version - Chapter 10

Legolas stood in the armory, mechanically going through the motions of checking his weapons. There was a small likelihood that any of them would survive the night at Helm's Deep. But he had vowed to fight at Aragorn's side and if that meant dying at his side, then so be it.

He could only hope that Gandalf would return in time with the Rohirrim. And at the very least, Merry and Pippin were far from this place and out of danger. They had no word of Sam and Frodo, but he could only hope that their journey was continuing as well. His thoughts then turned to Elanor, safely within the borders of Lothlorien. Since they had left, his thoughts often turned to her, the image of her standing on the river's shore next to Haldir. While he was happy they were to move forward in their friendship, he could not help the twinge of pain in his heart.

His best friend was now back in his life and he knew that she had been safe and happy all these years, which was a relief. However, she had found happiness at the side of another and he still did not know just what it was that had sent her away from Mirkwood. His mind whirled with the possibilities, though none seemed feasible. More than that, he was sure that he had something to do with it, but could not fathom what grievance he could have committed that would send her to Lothlorien without a word. He wished that she had shared with him before they left so that he could have done something.

What had he done to hurt her so?

"Best not to lose hope just yet," Gimli said softly from his side, drawing his thoughts back to the present. 

The elf looked over at him and smiled sadly before glancing around as he put aside his thoughts of Elanor. There weren't enough fighters and the ones they did have, too many were either too young or too old.

"Yes... hope is not yet lost," he replied.

Suddenly, there was the sound of a horn. Legolas stopped and looked up, recognizing it instantly. He could not believe his ears as he ran from the room on Aragorn's heels, both them scurrying outside to see if it was the truth or just their minds playing tricks on them. He slid to a stop as his eyes widened at the sight before him, scarcely believing it.

Before them stood an entire company of elves. At least 500. Just in front of them stood Haldir, who was now addressing King Theoden, and another that Legolas assumed was his second-in-command, though he could not yet make out his face as it was hidden by an ornate helmet.

"We come to honor that allegiance," the elf finished. 

The king of Rohan stood in awe as Aragron continued down the stairs to them. Legolas followed, though froze as he saw Haldir's second pull off the helmet and look around, meeting his eyes.

It was Elanor.

"Thank you," Aragorn said, smiling as he embraced Haldir. 

The elf stiffly returned the hug, unused to such affection, then stepped back.

"This is my second in command, Lady Elanor," he said, motioning to the elleth, who now stepped towards Aragorn, meeting his gaze and bowing her head towards him.

"I heard that you are a great fighter, my lady. We are honored that you are here," Aragorn said.

"It is my honor, Lord Aragorn," she said softly. 

 The man looked back and forth between the two before turning to walk back to the keep.

"Come. There is much to discuss," he said.

"Of course," Haldir said, now starting up the stairs. 

Legolas stood frozen in his spot watching as the two approached. While he was grateful for the aid of Lothlorien's army, he did not wish to see Elanor there. She was a great fighter, he knew, but they were about to face a near insurmountable foe. One that very well could kill them all.