Original Version - Chapter 8

Legolas sat at the fireside, staring into the flames. They had been gone only one day, but still his thoughts returned to Lothlorien. Seeing Elanor along the riverbank at Haldir's side. While it pained him to see the tenderness in their gazes, he knew the right thing to do was to step aside and allow her her happiness. Too many times over the years he had been selfish in her regard. Too many times he had taken her for granted. Now that there was somewhat peace between them, he did not intend to repeat his mistakes from the past. Even though he still did not know what he had done to cause her to leave, he vowed that he would do better.

"I saw that you were speaking with the Lady Elanor before we left. Were you able to make amends?" 

Aragorn asked, sitting next to the elf. He nodded.

"As best we could. I feel there is still more there, but for now we at least parted on happier terms," he replied. He glanced at Aragorn "I... I fear that I have not treated Elanor as I should over the years. I do not intend to continue such selfish behavior."

"That is good to hear," Aragorn said. "You have not spoken of her so much in the years that I have known you, but I can sense that you were once close."

"We were," Legolas said. "I hope that someday we can return to that." He continued to stare at the flames, his mind going back. "There is not one memory from my childhood that does not involve her... I owe it to her, to our friendship, to do better..."

Legolas sat in his room on the floor, staring at the floor as his toys surrounded him

Legolas sat in his room on the floor, staring at the floor as his toys surrounded him. He did not understand what was going on, only that his father had sent him away and there was much yelling.

And no one would tell him where his mother was.

"Legolas?" a small voice said from the door. 

He turned, seeing Elanor standing there, barely visible behind the large door. Her long blonde hair was pulled into two plaits as she peered at him through wide blue eyes.

She stepped into the room, her rosy cheeks wet. Legolas looked down at the floor again, frowning.

"How are you?" she asked softly, walking up to his side.

"No one will tell me what is going on," he said glumly. "Father won't see me. And I want Mother."

Elanor sat on the floor next to him on her knees, watching him closely. He looked at her.

"Why won't they tell me anything? Why can't I see Mother?" he asked, his eyes wide. "Did something happen to her?"

"I don't know," Elanor replied. "Mother and Father would not say anything to me either..."

"Elanor, I am afraid," he said. "What if she isn't coming back?" Legolas sniffed as tears filled his eyes. "What if I never see her again?" 

Tears began pouring down his cheeks. Elanor reached out and wrapped her arms around him, unsure what to say. She was only a little girl and did not understand what had the hall in such a frenzy either. Her own mother held her tightly as she told her that the young prince would need them now more than ever. She had used the confusion of whatever was happening to sneak out of her family's rooms and seek out her best friend and playmate.