Chapter 20

Elanor stood at the edge of the mountain cliff, looking down at the large number of tents and campfires spread out in the valley, marveling at how quickly they had been able to muster such a force. They were still waiting on others, but tomorrow the final ride to Minas Tirith would begin.

Where they very well could be expected to fight as soon as they arrived. Truthfully, no one really knew just what lay ahead for them in Minas Tirith or when Sauron's forces would choose to attack. Or if they had already laid siege to the city. Scouts had been sent out, yes, but it was a long ride to Minas Tirith. They would be on the road by the time they returned with news.

A frown came over Elanor's face as she looked over the rows and rows of tents, the fires dotting the darkened camp site. Though there were many, she could not help but question whether it would be enough, thinking over the briefing they had just after they had set up camp, where Theoden and Eomer had gone over the various forces they would muster - roughly 6,000. That did not bode well for their chances against Sauron's forces, which appeared limitless at times, but it would have to do.

For a moment, Elanor wished they had had more time to recuperate after the battle at Helm's Deep, to ride farther to send for more aid, more soldiers. But they had run out of time. They would need to do what they could with what they had.

Turning, she started back towards the rows of tents, her eyes roaming the camp as she searched for Legolas. After their interruption, there had been no time to continue their conversation. Though part of her wasn't entirely sure she wanted Legolas to know the full depth of her affections right now - the other wanted desperately to take advantage of this moment. For who knew what they would find in Minas Tirith.

"My lady," Braen said as he approached her, bowing.

"At this point, I think Elanor will suffice," she said, a small smile on her face. "We have spent much of the last few days in each other's constant company and I do consider you a friend."

He considered this, then smiled in return.

"Well then... Elanor, the others are now resting for the night, but they are prepared and ready to fight," he said.

"Good. You should get something to eat and rest as well. It will be a hard few days coming," she said. "I will stop by later to speak with them all before I retire for the night."

Braen nodded and then turned, walking off to join the others. Sighing, Elanor glanced around, anticipations thrumming through her body in such a way that she worried she would get any rest that night. Of course, this was often how she was before combat. Each and every patrol she had taken part in, she had spent most of the night before up, pacing.

Perhaps she should keep her hands busy? See to her weapons. No, she had already taken care of that. And she was not hungry. Perhaps she should speak with her troops and then perhaps find Merry and Eowyn. Even Gimli. Anyone to keep her entertained and distracted.

With luck, perhaps she would find Legolas and the courage to finish what they had started.

So, onward she walked through the camp, not particularly watching where she was going. Elanor's feet carried her to a tent where Eowyn was staying not far off from her own. She had seen the human woman and hobbit together earlier and felt that perhaps Merry might still be with her.

Sure enough, as she walked closer, she saw Merry step out of the tent in the armour of Rohan, Eowyn chuckling behind him. She quickly shooed him off to the smith.

"I do not doubt his heart, just the reach of his arm," Elanor heard Eomer say as she reached them. The other men seated around him chuckled as they continued with their dinner.