Chapter 16

Elanor stood listening as Braen informed her of the state of their forces, though it was growing more difficult to concentrate. They were left with so few after the battle, though one look at the battlefield could have told her that. While the force of men had mostly stayed within the fortress, her kin had ventured out when the wall had been overtaken.

A small bitterness settled in her for a moment. This had not originally been their battle and yet they had sustained the most losses. But just as quickly she heard Haldir's voice in her mind, telling her that it was every bit their battle to fight. The bitterness slowly subsided. Though what did it matter?

Haldir was dead.

Once Braen had finished, she nodded, a numbness settling on her as she felt all of her energy quickly draining from her now that the battle was won. Around her, others celebrated their survival, but all she could do was think about those they had lost.

"Make sure the wounded are taken care of. As soon as we are able, we shall ride for Lothlorien," she said stoically, desperate to keep her calm mask until she was alone and could grieve in private. Braen nodded and walked away.

In that moment, Elanor's limbs felt far too heavy. She had seen a healer, but yet could still feel every single injury she had incurred during the battle. And just under all that, the dull ache in her heart was beginning to grow.

Sighing, Elanor looked around her, but upon seeing no one that would wish to speak to her, she started for the keep. There was the matter of Haldir to take care of, though she did not think herself yet strong enough to see his body. She had asked the healer to put him in a room away from the others and keep him there until one of their kind could tend to his body.

Passing through the main hall of the keep, she noticed a bottle of ale left untended on a table. She stopped, considering it for a moment before looking around. No one had noticed her, nor would they likely notice the missing bottle. For a moment, she could hear him again. Telling her not to do it.

As she continued staring at it, contemplating the drink, there was a rush of footsteps. She turned her head, seeing the healer from before rushing up to her, looking just as tired as she felt in that moment.

"My lady," he said, slightly out of breath. "I have been searching for you."

"What is it?" she asked. He took a deep breath and met her eyes.

"My lady, he is alive," he said.

Elanor's heart stopped for a moment. Surely this was but a trick. She had watched Haldier die with her own eyes. Saw the light leave his eyes. It must be a cruel joke.

"What?" she asked, still not believing him, though her heart began pounding. Her mind felt as though it were made of sludge as she struggled to grasp at what he was saying.

The healer sighed in mild frustration as he stepped closer to her, raising his voice.

"The elf warrior you brought to me... he is still alive."

"He's... he's alive?" she whispered, tears springing into her eyes as her hand flew to her mouth and she felt her legs buckle. She reached out, steadying herself on the table, closing her eyes for a moment as the world began to spin around her.

Haldir was alive.

She then straightened up, turning to the healer.

"Take me to him. Now."