Chapter 15

Elanor stood at Haldir's side on the wall, her bow ready and every muscle in her body tense as the sky opened up and the rain began to pour upon them. The orc masses had approached the keep and were now creating a rather large raucous just outside the Deeping Wall, though none yet approached. Even without the flashing lightning she could clearly see their numbers and it did strike certain fear in her heart.

How were they to overcome this?

She glanced to her side, seeing Haldir standing strong, his face a picture of calm resolution as he loosely gripped his bow at his side. She took a deep breath, turning to look forward, allowing his quiet strength to flow through her. They had to survive this battle. The plan was fairly simple - they only needed to hold the keep through the night. Hold through until the newly resurrected Mithrandir returned with the Rohirrim.

The Uruk Hai continued their crude battle chant and she could sense the fear building up in the men around them. The elven soldiers were silent as they waited for the command. Never had Elanor faced such a large and ominous foe. She could not help it as she looked down the line, searching for Legolas and finding a small amount of comfort when her eyes found him. He was standing not far off with Gimli, the two having forged an unlikely friendship of sorts.

Elanor began shaking as the cold from the rain pierced through her armour and fear threatened to take hold of her again. Though just as suddenly as it started, she felt it abate as there was a strong pressure on her wrist. Elanor looked over, seeing that Haldir had taken it and was now looking down at her. He offered the briefest of smiles as he squeezed her wrist again, reminding her that he was there at her side. She nodded as she then turned back to the orc army, redirecting her thoughts.

Now was the time to focus on survival. And finally getting revenge for the deaths of Fenris and her mother.

She kept watching, seeing one of the king's men let loose an arrow in anxious anticipation. The Uruk Hai fell silent as it found its mark and one of theirs fell to the ground. Immediately, Aragorn shouted the order and long lines of elves raised their bows in the air as the orcs began running forward.

For a short moment that felt like forever, all Elanor could hear was her own slow, haggard breathing. But then the next order was given and all hell broke loose.

"Elanor!" Haldir shouted as he pulled her aside and blocked what could have been a devastating blow just over her head

"Elanor!" Haldir shouted as he pulled her aside and blocked what could have been a devastating blow just over her head. She quickly sank her sword into the offending foe's gut and pushed it back off the top of the wall.

Very quickly the disarray of battle had taken over with the enemy climbing giant ladders and mounting the Deeping Wall where most of the archers had been stationed. Fighting in such close quarters, there was no time to use her bow and more often than not, she fought back to back with Haldir. Not far off, she could hear Gimli and Legolas shouting out numbers back and forth to each other and assumed they must have made some wager. She wished that she could take such a battle so lightly. But with the threat of death so close that the stench filled her nose, she knew she had to focus solely on the fight, even though hints of an old memory floated through her mind.