Chapter 8

Elanor looked down into the basket, double checking yet again that she had everything she needed. As part of her tasks for Durothil that day, she was to deliver a collection of salves and tonics to Haldir before the next patrol set out to the borders. Murmuring a few greetings to others as she walked through the city, Elanor could not help but find the world a bit brighter. It was a bit easier to breathe.

True, things were not completely as they once were. Guilt would still rise up within her without a moment's notice. One word or glance would have her heart seizing in pain yet again. It would take much longer than a few days for her to heal, truly move forward on this path (whatever path it was that she was currently on), but she could not help but feel as though she were heading in the right direction.

She and Legolas had been gradually spending more time together. Slowly getting to know one another again. They always kept to safe topics - the weather, Legolas' travels, Elanor's healing, their fathers and so on. Each time they spoke, she could not help but think that a bit more of the wall she had built around herself crumbled away.

But at the same time, each day that passed was another step closer to when the Fellowship would depart for the remainder of their journey. Soon they would be gone.

Elanor stopped a moment, her hand coming to rest on her chest as she struggled under the sudden weight of the thought. Just when she was finally beginning to make amends with Legolas, nearly ready to speak to him about that day, he would be gone. And there was no guarantee that she would ever see him again, for it was a dangerous path he was taking.

Though elves usually had quite possibly all the time in the world, she now felt as though it was slipping through her fingers.

Shaking her head, Elanor continued on down the path, pushing aside such thoughts for now. It would not do if she slacked off in her tasks and at the moment, Haldir needed the supplies. She could ponder upon Legolas and other such thoughts later.

Elanor came upon the home where Haldir lived with his family in due course and made her way to the large door. Knocking, she then took a step back and waited.

"Well then, what is it that has brought the lovely Elanor to my doorstep this day?" Orophin, Haldir's second-youngest brother said with a wide grin. Elanor could not help but to smile in return. While he and Rumil were far more puckish than their older brother, she found them entertaining more than annoying. "Have the Valar sought to bless me? Will you finally accept my hand in marriage?"

Elanor stood with an amused smile, watching as the tall elf dropped to one knee before her, his hands resting over his heart.

"Oh, is this that blessed day?" he asked.

"Unfortunately, it is not," Elanor replied as Orophin jumped to his feet, his long blonde hair swinging around his shoulders.

"I thought perhaps this time you would finally give in," he said with a disappointed sigh.

"I am only here to deliver these to Haldir," she replied, holding out the basket. "Is he in?"

Orophin looked down into the basket and then back up at Elanor.

"You'll find him on the training grounds at this hour," he said, winking at her as he started to shut the door. Elanor's eyes widened as she moved to stop him, knowing exactly what he was trying to do.

"Can't you just-"

SLAM!

She hopped back from the door as it shut in her face, Orophin's laughter coming from the other side. Huffing, Elanor turned and looked in the direction of the training grounds towards the edge of the city, then back to the door. For a moment, she contemplated just leaving the basket on the doorstep, but knew that Durothil would ream her out for doing such a thing.