SIX

12:35pm

12:35pm

This is separation from basic, they know I'm more than that
Yeah, don't try to just box me in
I'm that nigga, they can not be him
Come on, let's not pretend
Working like I got a point to prove
But I put up too many points to lose
We making boisterous moves
How many times can my voice get used?
Now they tappin' in for features
They was hatin' from the bleachers, I remember, uh
Thought I wasn't keeping no receipts but I remember
And I'm sorry not sorry if I offend ya
Kept a steady pace with the patience, I let it render
——

I bobbed my head along to the music that was flowing through my earbuds. I allowed myself to escape through music whenever I could.

"Myles are you paying attention" I opened my eyes seeing that most of the class was now looking over at me. My teacher had his arms crossed against his chest with his glasses hanging on the bridge of his nose.

"Obviously not" I responded. Some people near me started laughing. I was really not in the mood for anything but I forced myself to go to class rather than being in my room.

"Matter of fact, come up here and present your piece" I sighed with a slight eye roll as I pushed myself up from my seat. This was my creative writing class and I loved it but the teacher was the only flaw. I wish someone else taught it.

"Present what exactly, it's a blank page" I was lying straight through my teeth. I never felt comfortable presenting the things I write down. Half of the people in the class wouldn't understand what it truly meant.

"The topic for this week was Love" I adverted my attention to my notebook that was filled with words. That four letter word gave me the most inspiration this past week of how I felt about it. I looked up to see almost everyone was looking at me. Most of the girls in the class had a huge grin on their face just staring at me. I scratched the back of my neck.

"Love, huh" my teacher cleared his throat waiting for me to start. Nervous wasn't even the word to describe how I was feeling in this moment.

"What is Love?
It keeps me awake at night,
Figuring out ways to change myself.
But I can't seem to get it right.
Am I the reason
Or is it you,
Should I keep trying,
To prove my love to you
I tried to escape
But the pain it brings makes me want to stay,
I loved you so much,
Yet, you continued to push me to my breaking point.
Love isn't real
It doesn't bring joy
If it did my heart would heal—"

I decided to stop reading the rest since it wasn't going to get any happier than that. I closed my notebook looking up. Everyone starting clapping their hands. I gave a closed lip smile looking  at my teacher. He had a huge smile on his face.