TWENTY•ONE

| December 3rd |

10:30am

"You okay peanut?" I moved my gaze from the window back to my dad who was looking upon me. It was currently my 21st birthday and my dad took me out for breakfast like he does every year.

"Yeah, thank you by the way" I lied giving a half smile. Everyone was too busy to really do anything with me today. It was the weekend before finals so I was kind of expecting people not to be available.

I was hoping to spend time with my friends and do something. Myles had to work tonight and said his job wouldn't let him take the day off. They suggested we celebrate tomorrow instead.

"I know you probably don't want to talk about it, but your mom has been very persistent on being in your life" I sighed rolling my eyes.

"I don't want nothing to do with that women" he let out a laugh as he took a sip from his coffee.

"I know, me neither. Seeing her just brought back the memories of reign" he looked down cutting his pancake. My dad took loosing reign the hardest. They had a hard time getting pregnant and was told they would never have kids until I popped up. Then when Evelyn got pregnant again, that was the biggest smile my dad ever had. He wanted me to have loads of siblings like he did growing up.

"I know you not getting weak on me" he cracked a smile laughing.

"Girl who?" He looked left and right making me laugh.

"I was about to say nana ain't raise no-"

"Bitch" he finished my sentence. I shook my head with a smile. I ate some of my French toast, when my phone vibrated.

Myles🥵 10:45am
Happy MF birthday love💜, I'm sorry I'm not able to spend the day with you

I smiled as I sent back a reply not noticing the waiter walking back over. As my dad and her were talking, I scrolled on my timeline seeing the various birthday posts.

"Let's go peanut, I have a surprise for you" another smile graced my lips as I rushed out of the booth. I followed closely behind with our to-go boxes.

"What is it?" I asked hoping into his truck.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you" I sucked my teeth making him laugh.

"You're no fun" I spoke crossing my arms. He turned up the music as we cruised down the street to wherever we was going. I looked out the window thinking of the many possibilities of what the surprise could be.

"You seemed down earlier, everything okay?" I looked over at my dad seeing his eyes switching from the road to mine. I gave him a nod with a small smile.