SEVENTEEN

| November 4th |

12:30pm

I laid my head on my fist as I kept blinking my eyes to stay awake. I was currently in my Creative writing class and my teacher was explaining the reasoning of imagery. Half the poems we are taught, literally makes no sense to me. I don't understand the message, the tone, or how I should portray the piece.

Poems should have a personal and intimate touch, so when others read it, they can imagine themselves in the author's position. When I write I make sure it conveys the message I want people to receive. I blew out a long breath as I scoped the room. After the party had passed this weekend, I felt relaxed and not as on edge like usually.

I bounced my leg as I dug into my bag looking for the bottle I packed. I grabbed the orange pill bottle. I dumped two blue horse-shaped pills in the palm of my hand. I looked around seeing that everyone was not worrying about what I was doing.

I quickly tossed them back and chased it with the room-temperature water bottle. I closed my eyes letting out a sigh. Ever since the first time I tried these, I couldn't go without having them. They were way stronger than the ones I use to take. They were effective way sooner. I blinked my eyes a couple of time before looking back at my teacher.

"Alright class, for homework tonight. Turn in the writing prompt about what we talked about today. Class dismissed" I grabbed my belongings following behind all of the students.

"Wait Myles let me talk to you" My teacher, Mr. Jones says. I held onto the strap of my book bag as I gave him most of my attention.

"So I took the initiative to submit your Love is Opaque poem" I didn't know what to say. Of course I love poetry but I never saw any reasoning to submit my pieces anywhere.

"I know I should've talked to you beforehand but I figured if they didn't respond it would be no biggie" I nodded waiting on what he was trying to say.

"Well they reached back out to me and yours in the running with three other poets. If you win, it will give you loads of opportunities" I stared at him in utter disbelief. I scratched the back of my neck as I replayed what he said in my head.

"Where did you submit it?" I asked

"The Langston Nobel Prize" I raised my eyebrows in shock. It was one of the top most prestigious awards you can earn. It was rare anyone my age would even be considered for an award like that.

"Wow Mr. Jones I don't know what to say" he waved me off with a smile.

"Myles you're writing is original and unique, something I haven't seen since I first started teaching. One day you can go a step higher and submit your poetry for the Pulitzer Prize" I small smile graced my lips as I thought about it. The Pulitzer was the dream for me. Given that creative writing is my minor, I was not technically trying to go the poetry route in life but I wouldn't mind making it a side hustle.