Chapter 9

Jeongyeon was on the living room talking to Mrs. Im on the phone. She just finished cooking and was waiting for Nayeon to come home. As usual, their mother couldn't come home because of work.

"Right... I understand, eomma." Jeongyeon paused as she heard their front door creak. "Oh. It seems that Nayeon unnie just came home, eomma. I'll be hanging up now. Be safe." She said and put her phone down. She stood up to greet Nayeon, who's head was hanging low while untying her shoes. She crossed her arms and leaned on the wall. "Welcome home, unnie. I met Momo and Sana at the grocery store earlier. Momo said not to get angry at you, however..." Nayeon walked slowly and weakly, as if she was a zombie. Jeongyeon noticed how gloomy she looked but she needs to know where Nayeon had been. "Where on earth have you been—"

She was surprised when Nayeon lifted her head. Tears streamed down the older girl's face. And it was not stopping any time now. Jeongyeon looked at her worriedly as the latter continued to sniff.

"N-Nayeon unnie... what happened?" Her annoyance faded away as soon as she saw Nayeon's tears. She couldn't bare to see her crying, but she didn't know what to do. She didn't know how to comfort her lover.

"J-Jeongyeon-ah..." Nayeon weakly called as she bursted into her tears more. She sobbed until her legs felt weak and held onto Jeongyeon's shoulder. She rested her head on Jeongyeon's chest and cried louder as she slowly kneeled down. She clutched on Jeongyeon's pants while bawling. "I- I'm sorry... Jeongyeon-ah... I— I'm really s-sorry..." She choked on her tears and continued to mumble apologies.

Jeongyeon tried to hold her tears as she clenched her fist on her pants. She was confused on why Nayeon was apologizing. She slowly kneeled down, leveling Nayeon, and lifted her hand as she put it on Nayeon's back. She put her other hand behind Nayeon's head and guided it to her chest. She felt the older girl put her hands on her back. She tightened her hold on Nayeon as she let the older girl sob harder. And that was enough for Nayeon to feel better.

Jeongyeon hugged her tight and let themselves stay in that position until Nayeon calmed down. They slowly stood up as Jeongyeon guided Nayeon to the living room. The younger girl didn't notice Nayeon's backpack on the floor and the paper bag that has what Nayeon had worked for: their couple rings.

Moments after they sat on the couch, Nayeon noticed her things on the doorway. Without a word, she stood up and wiped her tears as she retrieved her backpack and the paper bag and directly went inside their room. She didn't look back to Jeongyeon and left her at the living room with a worried expression.

~~~~

"Nayeon-ah, don't tell me you're dating that Yoo Jeongyeon? I seriously can't stand that" An unfamiliar voice said with a hint of disgust in her voice. She laughed maniacally until Nayeon's eyes shot open as she gasped.

"A dream..." She mumbled as she sat up on the bed. She then noticed that Jeongyeon was not in their room and left a note beside her backpack.

"Tests starts today, so try not to come home late.

-Jeongyeon"

Nayeon sighed as she read the note. She then noticed the paper bag beside her backpack untouched. I'm sure Jeongyeon noticed this. Luckily, it's sealed. She thought as she lifted it up to her hands. She opened it and looked at the small black box inside. She then started to tear up as she realized something. "I wonder why did I buy these rings." She held it close to her chest and wiped her tears. "Dahyun is right, I can't give her something like this..." Nayeon put it inside her drawer. She thought of throwing it away, but she realized how she worked hard to buy it, so she decided to keep them but not give it to Jeongyeon. She hurriedly fixed herself and walked to the academy since she was late.