Journey to the Top!

thoughts, memories - italicized

It was morning, everyone was eating breakfast in the hall and talking about something. Wakari was sitting at the same table as Kris.

Kris sighed heavily. "The European League is starting, we have to be ready for it."

"It'll be fine." Replied Waki.

"That's right your calculations are always right Waki." Said Kris smiling at the blind girl. "Although it would be nice if you and Free didn't disappear during battles."

"I have my reasons." Waki said. Wakari heard the door to the dining room open and a loud voice called out.

"Hello, everyone!" Shouted Valt. Behind him could hear the growl of an irritated Stan at the next table.

"I'm out of here." Stan said irritably and got up from the table, followed by Rickson and Ivan.

"Guys, please clear the trays." Ange shouted at them, but they ignored her. "Excuse me?"

"Hi! How are you?" Greeted Valt, but Stan looked at him angrily and moved on. "А? Well, bye." Kris looked at the three leaving the dining room.

"Should I be worried?" She asked anxiously.

"The competition for places in the league is fierce, as is the competition for the lineup that will be involved. It's to be expected that everyone will be tense." Replied Waki.

"I hope it doesn't get worse." Kris replied and got up from the table. "I think I'll be going. Shall I take you somewhere Waki?"

"It would be nice if you left me in the woods." Waki replied as she stood up.

"Alright then, let's go." Kris said and took Wakari's hand. She led her to the beginning of the forest.

"Are you sure you can walk the rest of the way by yourself?" Asked Kris worriedly.

"Yes." Replied Waki and grabbed the nearest tree. "An old friend will help me walk."

"Okay, I'll go then." Replied Kris with a smile, and walked off in the direction of the building. A few minutes later, Wakari heard a rustling noise and felt something licking her hand.

"Hello old friend." Waki said. "Will you take me to that place?" She groped with the deer's fur, put her hand on its back, and she followed the deer. Soon they came to the place where she and Free were training and Waki saw a yellow silhouette in the midst of the darkness.

"And why am I not surprised to find you here." She said. Free turned her head and saw Waki and the deer.

"Hi Wakari." Said Free and looked again at Fafnir spinning in the center of the arena. The deer and Waki walked closer to the stadium and Waki grabbed onto a nearby column and sat down next to the arena. Free looked at her.

"The team is all tense again." Waki said. "Everyone wants to get into the first lineup."

"But not everybody's going to make it." Free said boredly and picked up Fafnir. "It's time they learned to accept reality."

"You're right about that." She agreed, and Free prepared to launch Fafnir again. "But most likely the first lineup will change."

"What?" Free stopped and looked at her. "What do you mean?"

"Our first lineup is about to change." Waki replied boredly. "It'll probably include Rantaro, Silas, or Valt, at least they're the only ones I can see."

"I saw you watching Valt and helping him why?" Asked Free, perplexed. "To him, even defeat and victory don't matter."

"He's interesting to me. Then at the Japan Cup he made a launch he didn't even know he had. He came up with it in that moment. That launch at once made all my calculations become inaccurate. He's reckless yes, but not predictable at all." Waki said and pulled out a Wyrm. "He's got us interested. He can bypass our calculations." Her colorless eyes turned gold for a moment.