Part 41

Arthur Leywin POV

Slowly I made my way off the battlefield. I could feel the soldiers looking at me with a mixture of emotions that ranged from awe to relief but they all shared one emotion. Fear. I killed thousands of soldiers and a Scythe  it was to be expected. But is this really what I'd become. I used to bask in this feeling. But now it felt so lonely, standing at the peak of this war.

I made it to the gates and all the guards saluted me.

"General we welcome your return." Senior captain Wykes said as he bowed deeply. He was a sly man. Weaker than Bairon and Lucas but only barely weaker than Lucas. Whilst I disliked the man, he could do things efficiently.

"Thank you Senior Captain Wykes. Could you direct me to the other Generals?" I asked.

"They are in my tent. I had been asked to leave and wait for you to return General." He said. There was definitely caution in his tone. Rumours of the youngest Lance being the strongest had begun to spread and so my position was beginning to be respected more.

"Well then Captain, although they had asked you to leave, I believe your presence will be necessary for what happens next." I watched his eyes widen slightly but given the type of man he was he hid it well. He'd been alive far to long to truly change in this short period of time. However perhaps I'm wrong, but I'll keep my guard up just in case.

"Yes General." He replied with a bow.

________________________________________

In silence the two of us walked to his tent. I could sense that Varay and Bairon were waiting for me.

I turned my gaze to the captain as we arrived outside the tent. "Let's head inside." I said as I walked in. Varay and Bairon looked at me as I walked in with the Captain beside me.

"Before anything gets said, I believe the Captain should be here so message of what happened can spread faster. If either of you object then please say so." I looked at the two lances and neither said anything. After giving them plenty of time I sat down. "Well then, let's get on with the meeting. Although both General's are aware of what has happened. As a formality I'd like to begin with the biggest positives. We won the battle and eliminated two Retainers and a Scythe."

I could see Captain Wykes eyes widen at the revelation but decided to continue speaking. "We have all three bodies and I believe it should be a priority to get them to the council as quick as possible. Captain, can that be arranged." I turned my gaze to him whilst saying those words.

"Of course General, I'll have it done as soon as this meeting is over."

___________________________________________

Over the next half an hour we prepared a detailed report on the situation. Including economic and human capital factors. They were the most important. Whilst it is wrong to consider people as numbers. In a war it is sometimes necessary albeit each family that a person died from would receive compensation.

After the captain quickly had trusted silver cores deliver the bodies of the Retainers and Scythes to the council.

Now then. I guess I should go see Sylvie and Myre. I bet even the best accommodation here would be considered sub par to the asura.

I could sense them so I made my way there immediately.

Entering a large room I saw the two seated at a small table.

"Sorry I took so long." I smiled at the two as I walked closer.

"Not at all child. You seem to have dealt with everything smoothly." Myre replied as she gestured for me to take a seat.