Chapter 1: A Seer's Premonition

It was a sunny day in Nyima when the Queen found out she was to soon bear the King a child. It was a joyous day for all those who lived in the castle, for the royal family of Nyima was much loved by their people.

Taking in a breath of mountain air, the Queen stood on her balcony, staring out over their beautiful lands. It had been her home for the entirety of her life, and despite the fact that she had never stepped foot on foreign soil, she would not have changed a single moment of her past for anything.

She remembered walking barefoot through the dirt roads as a child, wearing nothing more than rags. Despite the poverty of her young life, she was always bright, smiling and curious. The only thing that had really changed since her wedding to the King were the clothes on her back, and the wellbeing of her family.

A strong but gentle hand fell onto her shoulder. Leaning her neck to the side, she smiled, knowing it to be the hand of her beloved husband. He took in the same deep breath of air from the mountains, letting them fill his lungs with pride.

"Come," said the King. "It is our oldest tradition to visit the Seer of Nyima when the Queen is carrying. She will give us her blessing, and with it, our child will grow up strong and wise and beautiful."

So it was that the King and Queen made their way from the balcony, dressed in the more fashionable clothes of the people. They quietly left the castle by horseback, riding upon great white steeds.

They rode through Kingdom, waving to the many people who smiled and watched them pass. They smiled in return and rode on, and it was not long before they made it to a small dark cabin. A single ribbon of smoke rose from the top of it.

Upon stepping down from her horse, the Queen smelled the strong scent of jasmine and was reminded of her childhood. She had grown up not far from where they were, near the edge of Kingdom, and the reminisce brought hope and happiness to her heart.

"It is a good omen," said the Queen. "Jasmine was my mother's favorite flower."

The King walked the Queen up the shallow steps and found the front door to be open. They both removed their shoes, raised their hands with their palms together, and bowed before entering.

Dozens of candles lit an otherwise dim room. The smell of incense filled the air, and looking around, the Queen was reminded of her youth. Books were strewn about the room, the curtains were wide open, windows cracked. In the center of it all sat an old woman upon a faded red cushion. Her eyes were closed, her legs crossed, and her hands folded gently on her lap.

Placed side by side before the Seer were two cushions. Taking their cue, the King and the Queen sat down, taking the traditional sitting posture of their people. They waited patiently for a few minutes before the old woman opened her eyes.

"It is good to see that the royal life has not kept you from your practice in patience," she said gently, taking in the sight of them one by one. She held them in her eyes, the same way a loving parent looks at their own children.

The Seer took a deep breath, her expression changing. "I have had a vision of your coming and what is to come of it," she began, her voice slightly worn. The Queen could feel the slight change in her voice, but did not speak.

"Come with me, my dear," said the old woman, standing, and holding out her hand. The Queen did as she was told, and was led into a back room, one with all the windows blocked by woolen tapestries. The old woman motioned for the King to join them, then had the Queen lay down on a thin mat on the floor.