Chapter 32: A Child's Mind

The next night, Susant was sitting in his normal place when several of the child monks came running into the garden. He had originally thought it was strange that there could be children in the monastery, and remembered the conversation he had once had with Jampa upon questioning him about it.

***

              The two had been walking the path toward the dining hall one afternoon when Susant spotted a group of children and the realization struck him.

               "Jampa," he began, "you said that one of the precepts of the monastery is that there is no sexual activity of any kind." He watched the group of children run past him on the path. "Then, how is it that there are so many children here?"

              Jampa sat down on a bench and took a bite of an apple. "It is easier for a child to come to this place than one who has already grown up a bit."

              "What do you mean?"

              "Well, it's simple. Children are pure of heart and untainted by logic. For them, this place exists the moment they imagine somewhere that could shelter them from their misery. However, with adults, we must convince our thinking minds that such a thing is possible. We still have the thoughts that such a place could exist, but for us to come here, we would undoubtedly have to overcome countless obstacles because our minds cannot not supersede our logic."

              Susant blinked once. "What?"

              Jampa laughed. "I'm sorry. That was a little complicated. Basically," he said, biting again into his apple. "It is far easier for a child to believe it is possible than an adult. The power of believing is one of the secret gifts of our world."

              "So, because they believe it is possible . . ."

              "It is possible," said Jampa.

              "But how could they know about the monastery without ever knowing about it?"

              "They don't know about the monastery in the specific sense you are talking about. They only believe that such a place exists that could heal them from their pain. However, not all children come here, of course. It is often the children who have nothing left, no attachments remaining, that need only desire to be rescued and find themselves in the monastery. That is why there are so many children here, and so few adults."

              "How do you know all of this?" Susant asked.

              "Because that was how I came to this place."

              "But you are my age," said Susant, as if pointing out the simplest truth.

              "Yes, well, I have grown." Jampa laughed. "Though I believe it was a bit slower than usual. I think the magic of this place holds one back from growing older to quickly, so the wisdom of a child is firmly planted in our spirits. That way, even if you do grow from a child, you are still able to remember the truth."

***

              Susant watched the children with a smile on his face. They were truly untainted by the logic and thoughts that seemed to plague those who had undergone the process of growing up. They lived only in the present moment, making choices with something that wasn't thought or logic, but something older, something firmer, something truer.

              "Hey there, my friend," said Jampa, sitting down next to him.

              Susant looked up at Jampa, remaining silent. "I won't disturb you for long," said Jampa. "I just thought you might like a little company on this quiet evening." Susant smiled, feeling that the company would indeed be nice.