Chapter 16: Broken

Susant awakened to find sharp pains running through his body. Lifting his hand to his head, he could feel dried and matted blood just behind his ear. Memories of the night before flooded back, and he sat up quickly, feeling sick to his stomach. 

              Looking around, he couldn't discern where he was. He was surrounded by forest, lying on the grass just before a tall tree. He couldn't remember what had happened the night before, only that he had been running away when the memory went black.

              "I must have run until I fainted from fatigue," said Susant quietly. Looking at the thick tree roots coiling around his feet, he realized that, in his flight, he must have tripped and fell against the tree, rendering himself unconscious.

              After taking a few deep breaths, Susant wondered what had become of his friends in the caravan. Feeling a sudden sense of guilt, he couldn't help but feel that he had fled for his life, leaving his friends there to some unknown fate. Balling up his fists at his sides, Susant felt a tear slide down his cheek.

              "I'm nothing but a coward," and his voice was testament to his pain. He curled his hands around his knees and found himself weeping alone. He had never been more afraid, more full of guilt, and more lost.

              What was he to do? He was lost in the middle of the forest, with no food and no water. He quickly checked to make sure that he had his bag with him. Luckily, it was still strapped to his back. Opening it up, he found the small medicine bag given to him by Ganga. Feeling the pangs of guilt grow tenfold, his fingers shook as he tried to open the pouch. But to no avail, he could not bring himself to do it, not after abandoning everyone there and fleeing for his own life. 

              A long, slow hour passed as Susant sat there and thought about what had happened and what he might do. Now, more so than ever, he regretted leaving Kingdom. For now, it seemed that his quest had become perilous. How could he ever make it to Kailas? And even if he abandoned his journey to the mountain, would he ever be able find his way home to Kingdom again?

              The cracking of a branch snapped him out of his thoughts.

              Quickly standing to his feet, Susant realized that the sound had come from just over a small hill to his left. Fearing the worst, yet also hopeful that it could be one of his friends, Susant crept forward and over the hill.

              On the other side was a softly flowing stream. Susant's eyes widened as he spotted one of the horses from the caravan, but before a smile could come across his face, he noticed the horse was limping alongside the stream. It had a great gash in its leg.

              Standing up, Susant took an easy breath as he slowly made his way down toward the water. The horse stopped and stared at him as he slowly approached. He could tell the beast was skittish after what had happened the night before.

              "I know you're scared," said Susant, holding out his hand. "So am I. But I think that we are all we have, out here in the middle of nowhere." He moved a foot closer. The horse ruffled its feet through the water, not taking its eyes off of him.

              "Come, my friend," said Susant. "I remember you, and I think that, if you take a moment, you will remember me as well. We come from the same place, and the same tragedy has befallen both of us."

              Soon, Susant was standing only a couple feet from the horse, who he could tell was still nervous. However, the horse had not retreated from where it stood. Susant placed his hand on the side of the horse's neck, patting him gently.

              "There, there, my friend," whispered Susant. "Together, we will find our way." Leading the horse away from the river, Susant realized that his hopes of riding the creature were not possible. The injury to the horse's leg left it barely able to walk. Letting out a defeated sigh, Susant tried to push away the realization of his crushed hope. He was still stuck where he was, and even worse, with a horse that could not walk.

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel