Chapter 49: A Soft Heart

Raja saw himself as a child running through the streets of the Empire. Behind him was Mala, who was a little older. In their hands, they held fruit, and on their faces were childish grins. A shopkeeper ran down the streets after them, yelling and cursing at the two thieves.

              Turning a corner, Mala slipped and fell. Raja turned to see the shopkeeper catch and grab his friend, then slam him against a wall. Raja held the fruit in his hand, understanding that helping his friend meant getting hurt. Without a second thought, he hurled the fruit at the shopkeeper and ran to Mala's side.

               An hour later, the two of them were laughing and balancing on the edge of a bridge, each of them sporting a shiny black eye.

                I sacrificed myself for him, the Emperor thought. But why?

              Time hastened, and soon the two of them were older. They were on a battlefield. Raja was still only a prince. Mala watched as Raja pushed him out of the way and cut down a swordsman that would have otherwise taken his arm.

              But as he fell away from Raja, Mala could see, as clear as day, an archer on a distant hill, notching an arrow aimed for his friend. Digging his boots hard into the dirt, Mala leapt before the arrow, taking it in the shoulder and saving Raja's life.

              How is it that I have forgotten this day? That Mala had once saved my life?

              Raja felt the sadness welling up in his being as he remembered the two of them far too drunk than they should have been later that night, laughing and cheering and telling stories by a fire. He remembered the feeling of comradery, the feeling that, no matter what was happening in the world, no matter the circumstance, Mala would have his back, and vice versa.

              The sun fell away, followed by the moon. Again, the memories changed, and he watched as Mala smiled and clapped him on the back when Raja had professed his love for his sister. Mala's father had died young, so Mala himself had been the one to give him the blessing of their family, and with it, his youngest sister's hand in marriage.

              The skies darkened, and he could see the two of them arguing. No matter the circumstance, Mala had always remained respectful to Raja, but unfortunately, he could not say the same. As the days passed, he watched himself change from a kind and virtuous man to something else, one whose heart was slowly overrun by greed, fear and pride. 

              "No matter what happens," said the voice of Mala. "Even when you become Emperor and rule the greatest realm the world has ever seen; I know in my heart that you will never lose yourself . . . Not because of the blood that flows through your veins, but because of the heart that beats in your chest. I look up to you, my brother."

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel