Chapter 15: A Cold Night

Susant's eyes opened abruptly. It was the dead of night, and the wind was barely a whisper. Sitting up, he couldn't tell why his heart was beating so fast. He couldn't remember having a bad dream, yet there was something ominous in the air. A moment later, he heard a scream. It sounded like Ganga.

              Jumping out of his warm blankets, Susant looked up to see Krishna standing at the door to his tent. There was a fear in his eyes that he hadn't seen in the calm man before.

              "You must hide, Susant," said Krishna. "Bandits have come, and they mean to leave us with nothing!" Krishna vanished from the folds of his tent, and Susant could hear him running toward what sounded like swords clashing.

              With his heart pounding like a hammer, Susant quickly threw on his boots and grabbed his belongings, stuffing them into his little leather bag. Emerging from his tent, Susant was horrified to find several of the caravan's tents burning. Those that had traveled in the caravan were either fleeing or fighting the bandits, who wore all black and had their faces masked.

              Susant jumped out of the way as several horses shot past him. The moment he looked back toward the main caravan, he locked eyes with one of the bandits who began to run toward him, his sword brandished. Not knowing what to do, Susant turned and fled. He ran like he had never run before, never looking back, listening only to the sound of his heavy breathing in the night.

-----------------

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel