Chapter 13: The Open Road

Susant looked up at the gates of Kingdom, the early rays of the sun touching down gently on her walls. He touched his fingers to the red shawl laid across his shoulders, then lifted his foot and began walking. He walked straight through the gates and out into the world beyond.

He had finally done it. He had finally left Kingdom. The feeling of accomplishment filled his body with a strength that he had yet known, a strength he knew that came from overcoming one's fears.

As Susant walked out into the hills, he would periodically check the map that was so serendipitously given to him in the bar. He smiled every time he remembered the old man telling the barkeep about a map that no one could have possibly known about. It was a magic moment, one of those things that happens in life that would never be forgotten.

At one point, Susant sat down to eat a piece of bread and an apple. Looking back at Kingdom, it seemed to him as if he had barely gone anywhere at all. Turning his eyes in the direction of Kailas, he could barely see the mountain in the far distance, sitting like a distant pyramid on the edge of the world.

As he stared off at Kailas, the feeling of how long his journey would be started to sink in. And with each bite of his apple, his doubts began to feed on him like worms in fruit. By the time he had finished the apple, his strength felt completely drained, and the logical side of his mind was telling him that what he was doing was foolish, that he had gone far enough, that he had seen the world outside of Kingdom, and that he wasn't missing much.

Susant shook his head, standing to his feet.

No, thought Susant. I'm not going through this again. I've only walked four hours. I can do better than this. I know I can. He thought of his father. After everything I said, I want to come back with success, not with failure.

Just as he was picking his bag up to keep moving, he heard the distinct sound of wooden wheels crunching down over dirt and small rocks. Looking over his shoulder, he saw a caravan being pulled by horses approaching him. He felt his tension slightly rise, knowing that the lands outside Kingdom were known to be inhabited by bandits.

Susant moved to the side of the path as the caravan came up next to him. The man who was leading the horses pulled them to a stop upon sighting Susant and pulled down the garb covering his face.

"Oi there, traveler," said the man, raising his hand.

"Hello," said Susant, raising his hand in the same fashion.

"Where you headed?" the man asked.

Susant hesitated for a moment, then decided to tell the truth. "Kailas." 

The man was silent as he took in Susant's answer, then he smiled. "The mountain calls you then. It is good of you to listen." He paused for a second as Susant stood there. "I haven't seen a shawl like that in a very long time," he said carefully. "Where did you come by it?"

"An old man gave it to me, so I could weather the cold on Kailas," said Susant, wondering if the shawl, which he previously thought had low value, might be worth something. And if it was, would he be in danger of being robbed?

"I see," said the man. "Well, we have some extra space in the caravan, and we are heading in that direction, but I have to ask before I offer, do you have any skills that may be of use to us on the road? Are you good with a sword?"

Susant shook his head, wondering what he might know that could be of use. He sat silent for a minute, then looked up at the traveler. "I am the son of a cobbler and have been mending and making shoes since I was a boy."

The man smiled. "Well, the omens look graciously upon us today," he said, opening his arms in an inviting manner. "Cobblers are always welcome with us. Your kind are rare to come by. My name is Krishna. Would you like to travel with us, my boy? We aren't going as far as Kailas, but we can get you to within a few days of the sacred mountain."

Susant took a deep breath of air and grinned. He thought back to a few moments before the caravan had arrived and how he had just been thinking of giving up. It seemed to him that ever since he had first met the Seer on his journey, things had been happening that made him feel more and more as if he were meant to travel to Kailas.

Susant finally nodded. "My name is Susant, and I would be honored to travel with you."

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree!

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel