Chapter 3: Susant

The years passed slowly and happily for the old man and his newfound son. He named the boy Susant. It had been his grandfather's name. It meant peace and quiet, two very important things to the cobbler.

Susant was a quiet boy, true to his name, with bright eyes and a strong curiosity toward all things he did not yet understand. As he grew, he began to take more and more interest in his father's work, and by the time he was a little older than a toddler, he was already helping him as a young shoemaker's apprentice.

He learned how to make shoes last, how to make molds that shaped to one's feet, and how to stitch and work with leather, rubber and many other materials. Being the Cobbler's son meant that he got to meet all different kinds of people, as the Cobbler's shop was conveniently located in the center of Kingdom.

As a result of getting to meet so many people, the boy came to understand the different types of people that lived in Kingdom. Susant and his father made and fixed shoes for almost everyone, and once a year, even the royal family would come and have their shoes mended, as it was the tradition for the royal family to visit each of the local shops.

Everyone loved Susant, though few people knew where he'd come from. The people who had known the Cobbler beforehand knew that he hadn't had a family, but when asked about the mysterious appearance of his son, he would speak of it only as a blessing of the gods. And after a while, people gave up on trying to figure out who or where the boy came from, and merely accepted him as the Cobbler's son. He had been the caretaker of an orphanage once, after all.

Susant grew up warm, gentle and compassionate like his father. However, there was something in him that differed greatly, and that was the flame that burned inside him. You see, Susant was constantly trying to learn new things; from reading books, to learning how to bake bread, from smithing swords to playing music, there was always something fun for him to learn.

It was this key difference that separated the two, as the Cobbler never seemed to care about anything other than his shoe work and taking care of his son. His was a simple life, and he didn't care about dreaming for more.

It was in this way that Susant grew up in Kingdom. But as the years wore on, the flame in his heart only grew stronger, and he would often find himself daydreaming while staring out at the distant hills. He often dreamt of the sacred mountain, Kailas, and deep within his soul, he kept a secret there that he had never told anyone. 

-----------------

Ahoy my friend! Thanks for reading The Monastery!

If you would like to meet the creators, artists and storytellers of this tale, see exclusive concept art from our cosmos, along with check out our other high-fantasy book/manga series, The Curseborn Saga, you are welcome to come join our Discord, which can be found through the Official Monastery Novel LinkTree! 

We'd be honored to meet you! Take care, and peace!

https://linktr.ee/themonasterynovel