chapter nineteen

Kai's Pov

"So you're breaking up with me?" Tessa told, crossing her arms as I stood in the door frame, as had twenty minutes passed.

Ariana had texted me as well saying that her and Pete were done and she'd meet me at home. As sad as it was to break someone's heart, I could barely stop myself from smiling knowing I'd be with Ari by the end of tonight.

"Yeah, I hope you find someone who's right for you and can love you in ways that I don't."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? You literally abused me our entire relationship and then sat here for the past 10 minutes arguing with me because I said I didn't wanna be with you."

"All relationships go through stuff like that, so of course I'd be upset. Do you hear how stupid you sound Kai?"

"Whatever, I don't even know why I'm arguing with you, we're done so there's no reason for us to even speak again." I sighed, almost going to step out of the room before she stopped me.

"Is there someone else?"

"What?"

"You heard me."

"You want the truth?"

"Duh."

"There always has been."

"So you were fucking cheating on me this entire time and decide you want to play the victim?"

"Okay."

"You know I'm not letting this go that easily."

"Okay."

"I'm serious, when I find out who she is, it's done for the both of you."

"Ok—"

She waved her hands in the air, almost like she was going to hit me and I stepped back a bit. "-say that shit one more time Kai. Act like you actually give a fuck about me!"

"Tessa, we... are... NOT... together." I said, rolling my eyes. "In all honesty, fuck you. I can't keep pretending like I care when I don't."

She laughed bitterly before, throwing her wine glass just in front of me. "Get the rest of your shit and go."

"Thank you," I smirked, walking away.

I could hear her mumble curses and shit to herself as I walked out, but I didn't care. I didn't have to go through the wrath of Tessa anymore, I was just happy with never having to see her again. I was finally done and it felt great.

I literally took 15 minutes to grab a couple of months' worth of stuff, since most of it resided in the house I shared with Ari.

Without saying another word, we looked at each other one last time before I closed my trunk, and got in my car to go home.

I had never rushed home like that before, I could've sworn I ran a decent amount of red lights. But, no cop, no stop, right? Ari would kill me if she heard me say that.

Once I pulled into our driveway, I noticed that Ari's car was already parked, meaning she made it before me.

I figured I would just unpack in the morning so I used my keys to get inside because I figured she would be busy doing something right now.

But to my surprise, when I walked in, the house was dimly lit by candles, with rose petals following. Placing my keys down on the hook, I couldn't help but smile knowing Ari had some kind of surprise up her sleeve. I walked down the trail of candles and roses, and it led me to her backyard. Where I saw her under a canopy, with a picnic setup.

"Sometimes it seems like you have all the time in the world," I said, with a smile, drawing her attention to me as she realized I was here.

She got up, walking towards me as she laughed. "It's because I make time for you. I figured things with Tessa would be stressful and take long, so I wanted to surprise you with something to make up for it."

"I was just waiting to get back home to you, I didn't care about what she had to say about it." I shrugged, wrapping my arms around Ari's waist as I bent my neck down for a kiss.

She gladly returned it, making it a sweet and long one. Usually, they were more lustful, but this one was noticeably different.

When we broke apart, the smiles on our faces remained, and we went to go sit under the canopy, Ari had set up.

Once I relaxed, she handed me a box of pizza, while she opened her container of sushi.

I opened the box happily until I realized there were pineapples all around it, and my smile dropped. "Ari, we can't be girlfriends if you think pineapple on pizza is acceptable." I joked, and she didn't even bat an eye.

"Baby, I know you don't like it." She shrugged. "The pineapple isn't for you, it's for me later."

"Huh?"

"You'll see," Ariana said, eating one of her sushi.

We went on to talk about random things, little details about us, dates we wanted to go on, etc. It felt so good to just not have to worry about coming home to an angry girlfriend or anything.

I was even thinking about having her meet my parents soon. Something about this girl just matched me perfectly, and I felt like we were right for each other.

"So, why is it only you and your brother?" She asked out of the blue, now laying in the hammock, beside me.

"You know like when parents have kids, not really knowing how many they want? And then after like their second kid, time just goes by so fast, so they don't feel like restarting again? That's why, but what about you and Frankie?"

"My parents ended up divorcing, so yeah."

"Wow, how was that?"

"It was hard, I'm not really that close to my dad but my bond is everything with my mom. How are you with your parents?"

"I'm alright with them, I guess. I was always closest to Mason more than I was with them."

"I can't wait to meet him one day."

"You'll love him, he's amazing. He just told me that he's trying for another baby."

"Do you want kids?"

"Yeah, I do, do you?"

"I do actually."

"How many?"

"Three, you?"

"Either like one or a lot."

"Okay, that's so weird." She giggled, resting her face in my neck. "We'll just have to compromise, okay?" She said, causing me to smile. It was the fact she even talked about us future-wise. I loved knowing that she didn't just think of us right now, it was little things like that, that just made me like her even more.

"What are you smiling about?" She asked, eyeing me with a smile as well.

"You."

"What about me?"

"The way you talk about us future-wise."

"Of course I do. We're gonna do this tour together, meet each other's family and the rest of our friends, maybe get another pet, and stay together forever and then some." She explained, messing with the rings on my fingers. "Ariana Grey does have a ring to it."

"Don't tell me you want one soon?" I joked, causing her to laugh.

"It wouldn't be my first time this year," She teased back. "I've also been meaning to ask you, how do you feel about our relationship being public?"

"I think that although I'm pretty private with that stuff, we're two very big people right now, so that'll be impossible. I say we should just act on our feelings and not worry about anything else. If I wanna hold your hand and kiss you, then I will. Fuck everything else."

Ariana grinned, with a small blush covering her cheeks. "I really like you, like a lot."

"Good, because I like you too."