chapter twenty eight

Kai's Pov

"I didn't expect it to be so crowded in there. I mean, it is late."

"I honestly didn't know what to expect, I've never been to New Orleans."

"Neither have I."

"Really? You found everything so easily, meanwhile, I couldn't even find where the chips were."

"Dumb luck?" I said, shrugging my shoulders. Dua flashed a smile, shaking her head as we started walking down the lively streets. There were a lot of people out for it to be so late, but luckily there were all at a distance so no one was in anyone's way. "It sucks we have the bus, I would've preferred the hotel."

"It's not that bad, right? We could make s'mores." She offered, looking at me as if she was eight and never had one before.

I nodded, with a small chuckle. "We should, yeah. I haven't had any in forever."

"I saw an ad for them back inside of the store, that's why I thought about it."

"Good thing you did."

"By the way, I also wanted to thank you," Dua started, "I've never really joined a tour like this before and you've been the most welcoming toward me."

"Of course, you're company's been great honestly."

"Well, you're stuck with me for the next couple of months."

"When you put it like that..." I teased, erupting laughter from the both of us. "So, where's your favorite place to tour?"

"Hmm... maybe anywhere in Europe, you?"

"Italy, we stayed an extra two days one year and I loved the food there."

"Fair enough." She chuckled, "My turn to ask you something I guess, have you ever been in a PR?"

"Yeah, back when I was sixteen, it lasted like six months. And it was with Madison before we became an actual thing." I explained going into detail a bit, as she listened. "Have you?"

"With Anwar."

"I honestly found out about you two after everything had already unfolded."

"Yeah, PRs suck."

"A hundred percent." I gave a half-smile. "What's your favorite TV show?"

"Well, I'm watching Riverdale currently."

"What?"

She rolled her eyes playfully. "Oh please, it's not that bad." Dua smiled, with a small laugh.

"It is."

"Fine, what are you watching?"

"Stranger Things."

"Shh! I haven't finished the rest of season 1."

I laughed, "You're so behind but we can catch you up after we finish making our s'mores."

"As long as you aren't one of those people who completely burn their marshmallow."

"I like them crispy, not burned to a crisp."

"Good," She smiled softly with her eyes too. I returned the look, enjoying the banter between us. Dua was honestly really cool and I knew Ari would love her.

We talked a bit more on our way, while the streets started to clear and it was now dark out. We were relying on maps to make it to the hotel since everyone else was gone, and we impulsively decided we wanted to surprise Tayla and Ariana.

While I was actually thinking about them, I decided to text Ari to make sure we had the room number right, just in case any mix-ups happened.

me: hey baby, what room number are you?
sent 11:42 p.m.

baby🖤: 302
received 11:43 p.m.

baby🖤: were u planning to come? if so, i'm with tayla and we're planning to go out for a bit, my love
received 11:43 p.m.

me: i just wanted to know. just lmk when you're back, so i can uber or something to you
sent 11:44 p.m.

baby🖤: i will
received 11:44 p.m.

baby🖤: are u back on the bus yet?
received 11:45 p.m.

me: nope
sent 11:45 p.m.

me: ari you have my location
sent 11:45 p.m.

baby🖤: i didn't feel like checking
received 11:46 p.m.

baby🖤: text me when you make it in then, okay? we're about to leave, baby
received 11:46 p.m.

me: will do angel
sent 11:47 p.m.

"They actually left the hotel, so we'll just head back to the bus instead and uber to them later if that's okay," I said to Dua, as she looked up at me.

"Of course," And with that, we had to change direction.

We then faded into a comfortable silence, enjoying the walk. As I said before, the streets were quieter so it only made the walk more enjoyable, as we were able to stroll down the streets of New Orleans peacefully without any paps or anything of that nature.  I was so deep in my head, that it took a couple of seconds to register that three men had run up on us with guns.

We dropped our bags immediately throwing our hands in the air, I made sure to stay almost directly in front of Dua since the men were in front of me and I didn't want her to get hurt.

"We want your phones, wallets, cash, watches, and shoes." One of the masked men yelled, waving his gun at us. "Let's go."

We wasted no time tossing them our things since they were just material items and could be replaced easily. I didn't even care about those things honestly, I just wanted to make it back to the bus safely.

"I like her necklace." Another one of the guys prompted, motioning to Dua.

"Y—you can have anything else, just not this, please. It was a gift from my dad." She pleaded, stepping back a bit and this alarmed the men as they got closer.

"Where the fuck are you going?" The shortest guy said.

"You're not getting the necklace, bro." I interrupted, directing their attention to me. "We gave you everything else."

"Shut up bitch."

"Dua." I mumbled, in a tone that only said, "you might have to run for your life". She shook her head, as tears started to stream down her cheeks.

They started stepping even closer to the point where my whole body was pressed against Dua's as I had one of my arms behind my back and wrapped against her so they couldn't pull her from my grip.

One of them tried to reach for it though, and I kicked them right in the crotch, and as soon as I did that, I got pistol whipped in the eye, knocking me back entirely.

"Kai!" Dua screamed, as I got back up again.

I punched the guy right back in his eye, and he fell. The second dude wasted no time pointing the gun to my head and hovered over the trigger. Dua's hand was still holding mine as if she was gonna pull me back and away from the men, but she froze, as did I.

The third one quickly stopped the second guy, pushing him off of me. "Boss, just let me—"

"-no, I don't want a body on my hands. You kill one rich girl, you kill the other too. And that's two bodies we don't need."

"Rich girls? They're celebrities." The one who pistol-whipped me said.

Their boss's eyes widened, "Shit, shit, shit... John." He said, looking at the second guy, whose name was presumed, John.